VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental And Working

Rate this question

Rob m

Question

I've read that a rating of 100% for a mental condition and working is a no-no. My question is can a person work who is rated 100% from a combination of different factors such as 50% Ptsd, 50% for something else (not mental), scars, bad knees, ankels and so forth be allowed to work? I havent gotten my rating yet and one of my primary concerns is being able to work regradless of my over all rating. At 44 years old I can't imagine not working.

Thanks.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

My question is can a person work who is rated 100% from a combination of different factors such as 50% Ptsd, 50% for something else (not mental), scars, bad knees, ankels and so forth be allowed to work?

Thanks.

Rob,

Answer: YES

My question is can a person work who is rated 100% from a combination of different factors such as 50% Ptsd, 50% for something else (not mental), scars, bad knees, ankels and so forth be allowed to work?

Yes, they can work but it is very hard to get to be rated 100% schedular. Keep in mind unless the veteran gets a 100% service connection for one condition, he or she would need something like 230% to get a combined total of 100% service connection. VA uses fuzzy math when a veteran had multiple disabilities.

Edited by pacmanx1

• HadIt.com Elder

I've read that a rating of 100% for a mental condition and working is a no-no. My question is can a person work who is rated 100% from a combination of different factors such as 50% Ptsd, 50% for something else (not mental), scars, bad knees, ankels and so forth be allowed to work? I havent gotten my rating yet and one of my primary concerns is being able to work regradless of my over all rating. At 44 years old I can't imagine not working.

Thanks.

If YOU apply for 100% disability due to you being Totally Disabled due to Individual Unemployability (TDIU) and are granted this rating, then you told the VA that you COULDN'T work, so you best NOT work.

But, if you can't work due to a single rating that the VA GRANTED to you due to your disability(s) and you did NOT request the TDIU but you were awarded the 100% anyway, or if a combination of SEVERAL disabilitys leads up to you being awarded 100% disabled without you having requested the TDIU rating...............................then you have NOT told the VA that you COULDN'T work, but, were, instead, granted your 100% BY THE VA due to the seriousness of your COMBINED disability picture..............then there is nothing to preclude you FROM working.

I do not know John McCain's percentage of disability, but I dare say that if his total disability picture were to be taken into consideration (his physical and his mental and his POW status) that he would be awarded 100%, even if he DID NOT request a Total Disability due to Individual Unemployability rating. So, if he did NOT request TDIU and yet the VA DID rate him as 100% disabled (and I am sure that they would) then there would be nothing stopping him from working. However, IF he did say that he couldn't work due to his disability(s) and he requested TDIU, then he has already told the VA that he couldn't work, and it would be considered FRAUD for him TO work.

That is why the VA REQUIRES that the veteran file a form 21-8940 (I believe that's the form number, but I haven't had my coffee yet this morning) thereby requesting the TDIU. Hence, the VETERAN has flatly stated that he/she CANNOT work, pretty much boxing the veteran into a corner that makes it very hard to get out of, if they, in turn, should be caught working, if granted the TDIU.

or sumpthin' lak dat.

I believe that I have earned a cup of coffee, and I intend to see that I get it.

If YOU apply for 100% disability due to you being Totally Disabled due to Individual Unemployability (TDIU) and are granted this rating, then you told the VA that you COULDN'T work, so you best NOT work.

But, if you can't work due to a single rating that the VA GRANTED to you due to your disability(s) and you did NOT request the TDIU but you were awarded the 100% anyway, or if a combination of SEVERAL disabilitys leads up to you being awarded 100% disabled without you having requested the TDIU rating...............................then you have NOT told the VA that you COULDN'T work, but, were, instead, granted your 100% BY THE VA due to the seriousness of your COMBINED disability picture..............then there is nothing to preclude you FROM working.

I do not know John McCain's percentage of disability, but I dare say that if his total disability picture were to be taken into consideration (his physical and his mental and his POW status) that he would be awarded 100%, even if he DID NOT request a Total Disability due to Individual Unemployability rating. So, if he did NOT request TDIU and yet the VA DID rate him as 100% disabled (and I am sure that they would) then there would be nothing stopping him from working. However, IF he did say that he couldn't work due to his disability(s) and he requested TDIU, then he has already told the VA that he couldn't work, and it would be considered FRAUD for him TO work.

That is why the VA REQUIRES that the veteran file a form 21-8940 (I believe that's the form number, but I haven't had my coffee yet this morning) thereby requesting the TDIU. Hence, the VETERAN has flatly stated that he/she CANNOT work, pretty much boxing the veteran into a corner that makes it very hard to get out of, if they, in turn, should be caught working, if granted the TDIU.

or sumpthin' lak dat.

I believe that I have earned a cup of coffee, and I intend to see that I get it.

Great Explanation Larry! This statement should be PINNED for those unsure about working in the present or future!

B6

• HadIt.com Elder

If you look at the schedule of ratings for mental disabilites you will see that 100% means total occupational and social impairment. That means you can't work. If you do work and the VA finds out you will probably be sent for a new C&P exam to determine you actual level of disability. 50% for PTSD and other emotional/mental illness is close to the cut off between those who can't work and those who can work. Not many 70%-100% PTSD vets can work even if they wanted to work. These are people with serious symptoms. Someone with a 50% rating for PTSD can work, but I would not ask for more for that disability if I wanted to continue working. When you go for a C&P exam for PTSD or any other mental claim the first thing they ask is "are you working". Being able to work separates the 100% and IU vets from everyone else. Now while you are working is the time to build up your documentation and doctor contacts so that when the day comes where you can't work you have all those ducks in a row. I did that and it was still a fearsome period of uncertainty when I had to stop working.