Jump to content
!! Advice given is in no way a substitute for consulting with a competent Veterans law firm, such as one on the NOVA advocate website !! ×
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Hadit.com

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • question-001.jpeg

    Have Questions? Get Answers.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.
      Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
    Leading too:

    exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.
    • Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?
    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • VA Watchdog

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • 0

Education For Spouse



  • HadIt.com Elder

My wife wants to take a correspondence course. I have Chapter 35 bennies and I believe she would qualify for educational assistance. I downloaded the application from the VA. Where do I send the application and what supporting documents do we need to send. We called VA but the site for education benefits is down. I know the school has to send some kind of form to VA. The school is in Vermont I think which is their physical address. Is this process very complicated because if it is my wife will give up. Not me, but she can't handle VA hoops. I am trying to break her in to dealing with the VA since she will have to deal with them someday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • HadIt.com Elder

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I found out the school is just a scam. My wife always falls for these things. The school says they don't deal with the VA. What decent school won't certify a student with the VA? It was some kind of BS correspondence course that teaches "Alternative Health" crapola. The contract obligates students to pay if they drop the course before completion. Wife did not read the fine print. She did not sign it, thank God. There are good distance learning schools out there I know that the VA will certify.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There sure are good schools out there- that VA will pay Chapter 35 for.

Chapter 35 paid for half of my degree.

I have three certificates-2 from correspondence schools and one from AMU that was in addition to my degree.

These were all quite involved and all required lots of study.Just as hard as college-

College courses might be her best best.

Every VA approved college says that on their home page.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HadIt.com Elder

In 2003 I was awarded Chapter 35 back to August 2001. How many years of eligibility would my wife have and would it start in 2001 or 2003. Is she going to run out of time in August 2001? Can she get an extention?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They usually hold to the delimiting eligibility date John except for:

“The 10-year delimiting period may be extended if the eligible

spouse or surviving spouse does the following: (1) applies

for the extension within the appropriate time limit; (2)

"was prevented from initiating or completing the chosen

program of education within the otherwise applicable

eligibility period because of a physical or mental disability

that did not result from . . . willful misconduct;" (3)

provides VA with any requested evidence tending to show that

he/she was prevented from initiating or completing the

program because of a physical or mental disability that did

not result from the willful misconduct of the eligible

spouse; and (4) is otherwise eligible for payment of

educational assistance for the training pursuant to Chapter

35. 38 U.S.C.A. § 3512 (b)(2); 38 C.F.R. § 21.3047(a)(i-iv).

An eligible spouse's extended period of eligibility shall be

for the length of time that the individual was prevented from

initiating or completing her chosen program of education. 38

C.F.R. § 21.3047©. Also, it must be clearly established by

medical evidence that such program of education was medically

infeasible. 38 C.F.R. § 21.3047(a)(2)(i).”


The only reason I got a better delimiting date (and thus VA had to pay me retro tuition) is because

my initial date ending was based on the 100% P & T posthumous award for my husband .They used his date of death for their limiting date.

They gave my daughter this same date but extended it for 7 years due to her 7 years of military service.

When I re opened for direct SC and succeeded, I sent the award letter to VA Educational People and they paid me the retro and gave me another very favorable limiting date.They have to change my daughters as well but she still has GI Bill too.

This was because I had succeeded in establishing a new entitlement period under Chap 35, due to a completely different award (Direct SC death)

They do extend these dates under certain criteria as in the above BVA decision.

Edited by Berta (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HadIt.com Elder

They will also give you a choice, whether to start the bennys on your earliest effective date OR on the date of your award. They did this with my son and he had only a couple of years left before he received his masters degree, BUT had been in college before and during my earliest effective date (which was a couple of years before my "award" date) so I elected to have them start his bennys on my Earliest Effective Claim Date (they going back two years before my actual award date and paying retro-active payments up until my award date and then picking up his last two years of college for his masters degree). If I had not done it that way, then he would have simply lost 2 years of his chap 35 bennys.

In your instance, John, you would have the chance to start her benefit date in 2001 OR 2003.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HadIt.com Elder

Berta and Larry

Thanks, now if I can get her to take a real course that might have some value. Distance learning is a good deal. There are good technical schools right here in Tampa. Every spouse needs to know how to navigate the VA. First thing to learn is not to take "NO" for an answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recieve Chap. 35 VA benefits, I am a dependent of a veteran (child). I have been in school since late 2008. I do school Online.

VA also gives an Educational Allowance to the dependent, rates vary, depending on the students status/hours in school. Full time/part time.T

I recieve Financial Aid. Which covers my full academic year in school (i will be done in Sept 2011).

If you can afford too, you can pocket your monthly allowance, which the VA sends you, or Choose to pay for your schooling w/ it. It would be smarter to use it for school espeically if your financial aid doesnt cover all of your tutuion.

Your school will help you get all set up.

I know most online schools deal w/ The GI Bill.

You also have to sumitt your VONAPP to the VA. Its a step by step process.

Google, "VA VONAPP" and you'll find it.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use