VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

NoliMeTangere

Question

Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to post in the forum so I'm just going to ask my questions in this Test area since its the only place I can.

I've been depressed for a long time and after some strong recommendations from my family I went to the vet center in 2007 to see if I could get some counseling. After talking to him for a few minutes he said he could make me an appointment with a shrink. So a couple weeks later I went to my appointment and he asked me some pretty standard questions about how I was feeling and then prescribed me some meds. I took the meds for a couple weeks and then I didn't see him again. This is my standard way of dealing with things. I tell myself "you need to do something about this" and when I began to crawl out of my hole I fall right back in. I went back to the vet center in April of this year to get another appointment with a shrink. This time I saw a different doctor who asked me the same questions and prescribed me another med. I saw her two more times and then I again quit going. Towards the end of May I received a packet in the mail asking me to fill out an authorization & consent form and something asking about stressful incidents. I assumed that this was required so that I could continue getting treatment and since I wasn't going anymore, I disregarded it. I received a letter in the mail last week asking me to get an examination on Nov. 26th. The exam was a C&P exam, I went home and googled it and found this site. The doctor was nice and took about 2 hours to complete. He asked me a lot about how I was feeling and how this was affecting me but just like the other doctors he never talked with me about what was actually causing the problem, the stressful events.

So after reviewing this site, I guess my questions are...

- How does the claim come about? Is it standard to start upon seeking treatment or is it a specific request?

- Does having a C&P mean I've been diagnosed with PTSD? The doctors have never given me their opinion.

- Is this necessary for me to get treatment in the future? Is the purpose solely for monetary compensation?

- Would being labeled disabled negatively effect me?

- Do I need to present more evidence if I decide to continue? They originally asked me to fill out detailed forms about a stressful events.

Thanks to everyone who reads this.

BH

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I've been to the vet center and I always see the same retired CSM. I feel like I'm in that Geico commercial where R. Lee Ermey is a therapist. Well, it's not that bad but he rushes me out of there and suggest that I go to group. I really don't think I can do group right now, I have anxiety just thinking about it. I've found a doctor in my area that charges $150 - 200 a session and he specializes in trauma, anxiety and PTSD. After reviewing my C&P and the requirements for rating I feel that i will probably end up with 30%. That should give me close to enough money for 2 sessions a month. I don't have health insurance and if I get prescribed meds it might be a problem. Can I get a prescriptions filled through the VA if its from a private doctor?

Here's a link to a summary of my C&P exam

Thanks Testvet

BH

• HadIt.com Elder

wal mart can usually fill them cheaper they charge 4 dollars a month for most meds if they are for a SC issue you still have to see a VA doc to prescribe the meds the civilian doc wants you on if the VA has them in the pharmacy I know it would be easier if they just took the reg docs scripts but they are anal that way they want VA docs to write scripts for their pharmacy