VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Would A C&p Likely Be Required?

Rate this question

BFR

Question

Greetings all. I did several searches across hadit but didn't seem to find this specific question so I'll post it here.

I'm a veteran of the first Gulf War back in 1990-1991. Recently IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), and fibromyalgia have been deemed as presumptive conditions.

Since that ruling came out I was diagnosed as having all three by my private physician, (Endocrinology and Internal Medicine). From what I understand from my research there are no definitive tests for any of these conditions. She wrote a beautiful statement for me to submit with liberal use of the magic phrase "In my opinion this condition is at least as likely as not related to military service" for each disorder. (My thanks to the Travis County Veteran's Commission (Texas) for the heads up on the VA's preferred phrasing!)

I wondering if the VA may use a C&P to counter the private doctor's findings. Any ideas or previous experience with filing based on presumptive conditions documented by a non-VA doctor?

TIA,

BFR

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes-IMO Independent medical opinion or IME independent medical exam.

The criteria is here under "Getting an Independent Medical Opinion."

It sounds like your IMO doctor gave a very good opinion.

• HadIt.com Elder

the VA requires C&P exams if you use VA doctors or private doctors that make the diagnosis the diagnosis is one thing then they have the C&P doc determine how severe it is then a "rater" decides what percentage they want to assign to your claim they may lowball it, they may award it the proper percentage

if they low ball it then you can file a Notice of Disagreement (NOD) and appeal it sometimes a DRO hearing can resolve the issue quicker than the BVA appeal will or you can skip the DRO hearing and go straight to BVA with it, it seems that DRO hearings seem to take about one year while a BVA appeal can be anywhere from 2-4 years before it gets done

nothing is fast with the VA claims process except denials seem to be done quickly