VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aid And Attendance - Memory Test?

Rate this topic

They have to consider the entire clinical record Broncovet but still not all situations in the regulation have to be met.

I even told VA that due to loss of use of normal hand function my husband had to start wearing velcro shoes as he could no longer tie his shows- in this way untied shoes cause a safety issue to a veteran - particularly a vet with limits to mobility already.

This is funny but I added it to my claim as the basics of a veteran being able to dress properly are part of A & A regs.

He could use buttons and zippers not a problem most of the time.

But one day (a very cold day in NY and he no longer could tell ht from cold well) he came food shopping with me and knocked something over in the store. He slowly bent over to pick it up and I noticed on his rear end in big black letters- the words "Property of the Veterans Administration!

He had put on a pair of pajamas he had from his last hospital stay at VA and I had thought they were light blue slacks.

When I pointed this out to him when we got home, he told me he had worn them to see his shrink at VA as well!

Geez-I have not even realized they were VA PJs.

Still it goes to show what the A & A regs are looking for when you consider his entire SC disability picture.

We dont discuss A & A much here and it is a high level of SMC.

I wonder how many vets never ask for it and should.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founder

Well I gave them a 4 page type written letter from niece, explaining the problems I have and the concerns my family has. I think they are just screwing with me, but I also think that's probably just the PTSD talking.

I'm just a little freaked out about being locked in a room for 2 hours or more have questions rapid fired at me. Maybe it won't be like that.

I do agree they are taking my claim seriously, I had a letter from and treatment notes from my va pysch doc who put in the treatment plan section Aid and Attendance, my va psychologist wrote a letter in support of this also.

The c and p examiner noted that after reading through my files, I've been dealing with these problems for years. I have someone who cooks my meals now, caught myself on fire twice, I think I just space out..

So now it's friday and still no word on when they are going to schedule the memory test. I feel edgy and all out of sorts, I have a lot of trouble with uncertainty.

Thanks for the responses and if anyone has taken this memory test please let me know how stressful it was.

I had the memory test. It was not for A and A, but because I was forgetting to take my meds, and my doc was not happy about it.

I dont remember all that much about it, but it was not a big deal. I went to the Psych's office, he asked me a bunch of questions and that was it.

You will do fine, Tbird. I used to kinda worry about the possibility of reductions, but I dont worry about that anymore. I am 58 years old, and they have to have a pretty good reason to call for a C and P reduction exam for someone over 55. Someone even posted that they dont do reductions while in appealate review..I am not sure how reliable that statement is, but it does make sense to me. Reason: With just one paper copy of your file, if your C file is in the appeals department, it wont be in the "reduction" department.

My father, who is now deceased, said it this way. "Worry never robs tommorrow of its sorrow, only today of its happiness."

Broncovet -how long did the memory test take?

I think Tbird has excellent evidence and it probably wont be as bad as one might think-

I hate to be holed up somewhere-anywhere -myself-for something that takes too long.

Maybe VA just projected this test would take some time in case they get behind schedule.

The memory test I took was a little over an hour..maybe an hour and a half. Of course, I cant generalize that yours, Tbird, will be the same. If I recall, part of it was written, but most of it was just the Psych doc asking me questions.

He did ask me to remember like 4 or 5 things at the start of the test, then asked me to recall them. I think I got part of them.

The bottom line for me was that it did not affect my benefits one way or the other. If I remember right, they told me my short term memory was not so good, but my long term memory was better.