VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aid And Attendance - Memory Test?

Rate this topic

My husband received both a computerized and an interview-type memory examination. The interview one is basically recalling lists of words given to him, and then number sequences. Also, in his case, spelling a bunch of words backwards, which was very hard for him to do (I told him to expect that, including the word, "world," which in fact happened). Also repeating the list of presidents backwards, starting with the current one.

He was so worked up about the exam the night before, he didn't get much sleep, which only serves to make the test more challenging, if you get what I'm saying...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founder

Well I had my interview with the C and P examiner, he was really good, kind of gave me hope that there are folks that care. I go Friday for the neurological memory testing the letter says it usually takes 4 hours but maybe as long as 6 hours.

My therapist made me feel better, she said if I start to panic and need to take a break to just tell them. So off I will go, following my own advice, just be honest and tell them like it is.

On another memory note, I got myself a LiveScribe Echo Smartpen, If you are forgetful and take notes whether it's for Dr's appointments or lectures this is an excellent tool and has helped me a lot with my memory problems. Check It Out Here http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/ I don't get a kickback from the pen I just think it's a great tool for us that have memory problems.

Wish me luck on Friday, my goal is to try and make it for 2 hours without a panic attack, that's a pretty high hurdle for me, though it may seem like not much to others.

Wish me luck on Friday, my goal is to try and make it for 2 hours without a panic attack, that's a pretty high hurdle for me, though it may seem like not much to others.

Tbird,

You are going to be OK during this memory test.

If you have a problem in the first 2 hours see if you can go to

1 hour or 1/2 hour, at a time.

• Founder

Good point perhaps I shouldn't set my goals so high, I will set them for 30 minutes each.

Tbird,

You are going to be OK during this memory test.

If you have a problem in the first 2 hours see if you can go to

1 hour or 1/2 hour, at a time.

Tbird,

I had the memory test 6 weeks ago. The test lasted around 3 1/2 hours. I was referred by Mental Health nurse after I told her that I was having issues with my memory,etc.

The test was pretty intense and I was exhausted when it was over. The test started with background info. We did number and word sequences where I had to repeat back the info to the doctor.We did puzzels and shapes. I had to match wooden blocks to pictures. This sounds easy but it gets diffucult. We also did a test where you look at pictures and then have to pick them out as they appear later on. The test is hard because you have to concentrate and think more than you do on a normal day to get these tasks done. We did other tasks which I don't recall at this time. The VA is supposed to call you back in to review your results but I'm still waiting. My guy at the Vet Center has access to this info and we reviewed my test. The test said that I was normal considering my age(62) and medical conditions including PTSD. It was good news that I was ok and i wasn't suffering from

early dementia.

Bill

T-Bird

You are going to do just fine with the memory test, attitude going in will get you everywhere. Just tell the examiner that you suffer from panic attacks, but you're going to try to do your very best. But....that when you say you need a break, you need a break! They are absolutely not there to test you on your stamina or mental stability, their job is to get a good test done on your ability to remember. If it takes TEN breaks to finish the test,so be it!

When you take those breaks, just think about all of us out here on Hadit that are pulling for you. We will be "beaming" you our best wishes and support for getting through yet another ordeal. I hope you are going to have a buddy be there with you.

I also suffer from panic attacks and lost it so bad having a MRI that the examiner had to go get my friend out of the waiting room and she practically crawled into the darn tube with me to get me calmed down. They suggested I come back another day, but I knew I'd never do it. Once out, I was never going back in there. I'd been upfront ahead of the test so nobody got too upset when I "wigged out" and really tried their best to help me out.

Maybe you'll luck out like Carlie did recently and get a sympathetic nurse/examiner that will work with you.

Let your cheer-leading squad here on Hadit know how it all turns out.

Big HUGS,

Lorraine