VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Put Off Accepting I Had Ptsd

Rate this question

handler

Question

After keeping everything inside of 40 years my VASO suggested that I put in a claim for PTSD. I guess I always knew that there was something there that wasn't right. Nightmares, hypervigulance, deep fear of the dark were just a few things that I have been living with all these years.

After a lot of thought and searching I finally filed the claim. After doing so I spent countless nights worrying about what would come next. The C&P exam scarred me to death because I knew that they would bring up things I have spent a long time trying to forget.

The day of the exam came and from the start I began to feel a little better about the process. The psychologist asked me questions for over 90 minutes in a way that really brought back feelings and memories that I had all but forgotten. She did it in a way that made me realize that I definitely needed help.

Although I now have more nightmares and thoughts of the incidents that have plagued me for years, I know that there is help available.

I was able to obtain a copy of the C&P report and would really like to hear your opinions on the outcome of the exam. It appears that the psychologist agrees that I have PTSD and I hope the raters will agree with her. In any case, I am in line to get some help and I am anxious to get started.

Here is a recap of what was on the report. Comments are sure welcome.

Diagnostic Assessment: (This was after 4 pages of narrative of the interview)

(Some items below are shortened to save space)

The veteran indicated that he experienced and witnessed events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, and a threat to the physical integrity of self and others through being shot at, mortar attacks, and fear for this life. His response involved intense fear, helplessness and horror. Therefore, he meets criteria "A" for the PTSD diagnosis.

Since discharge from the military he has persistently experienced the traumatic events through: recurrent distressing dreams of the event as well as recurrent and intrusive distressing recollections of the event, including images, thoughts or perceptions. Therefore, he meets criteria "B" of the PTSD diagnosis.

……He has avoided stimuli associated with the trauma and numbing of general responsiveness through efforts to avoid thoughts, feelings, or conversations associated with the trauma, feeling of detachment or estrangements from others, restricted range of affect. Therefore, he meets criteria "C" of the PTSD diagnosis.

……He persistently has symptoms of increased arousal as indicated by: difficulty falling and staying asleep, irritability, and hypervigilance. Therefore, he meets criteria "D" of the PTSD diagnosis.

…..He has experienced the above symptomatolgy since he was in the military. Therefore he meets criteria "E" of the PTSD diagnosis.

…. Therefore, not only does he meet the criteria for criteria "E" for the PTSD diagnosis, he also qualifies for the "Chronic" specification.

Diagnoses:

Axis I: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, chronic, moderate, related to military experience.

Primary Insomnia secondary to PTSD

Depression NOS secondary to PTSD

Axis II: None

Axis III: Deferred to Medical.

Axis IV: Sleep problems, isolative behaviors

Axis V: Current GAF = 58

Thanks to Hadit.com and all who contribute. It helped me to have an idea of what to expect during my exam.

I'll post an update when I hear back from the VARO.

Your comments on the exam results and what to expect are appreciated.

Handler

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I would think based on the write up that you will be awarded PTSD by the rater. The % maybe tricky between 30-50% but if you don't get what you feel is fair you can always NOD.

I take it you are getting treatment so that should help you enjoy the rest of your life a little better.

Welcome to Hadit!

Edited by stillhere

handler,

Welcome to Hadit.com.

Where did you "experienced and witnessed events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, and a threat to the physical integrity of self and others through being shot at, mortar attacks, and fear for this life. His response involved intense fear, helplessness and horror." ?

Being that VBA already ordered your C&P exam your stressor may have already been conceded.

handler,

Welcome to Hadit.com.

Where did you "experienced and witnessed events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, and a threat to the physical integrity of self and others through being shot at, mortar attacks, and fear for this life. His response involved intense fear, helplessness and horror." ?

Being that VBA already ordered your C&P exam your stressor may have already been conceded.

Carlie,

I was wondering if the stressor was already conceded. It may be that I fall under the new PTSD regs. You all on here may be able to answer that. I submitted my claim on May 13, 2010 but there had not been any decision (or any contact for that matter) from the VA before July 13, 2010.

As for where I "experienced" these incidents. Vietnam August '68 thru October '70. (26 months)

• HadIt.com Elder

Carlie,

I was wondering if the stressor was already conceded. It may be that I fall under the new PTSD regs. You all on here may be able to answer that. I submitted my claim on May 13, 2010 but there had not been any decision (or any contact for that matter) from the VA before July 13, 2010.

As for where I "experienced" these incidents. Vietnam August '68 thru October '70. (26 months)

Yes, your claim will fall under the "new regs" and, yes, your stressor(s) have been conceded (probably appears throughout your service records and requires only someone reading and reasoning that, if you were THERE then you WERE THERE!). I mean, seriously, WHO that WAS in Vietnam, was NOT :

"experienced and witnessed events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, and a threat to the physical integrity of self and others through being shot at, mortar attacks, and fear for this life. His response involved intense fear, helplessness and horror." ?

HELL YES!

.............even in downtown Saigon................even in the American Embassy...............even on the rooftop of the Air America housing.............

just sayin'.....