VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Ptsd Rules - New Topic

Rate this question

OEF 21B

Question

Any C&P Experts,

Here's a "clean" copy of my C&P exam where the VA examiner states "As mentioned above, while I do see a number of symptoms of PTSD, I do not see sufficient evidence to support a full PTSD diagnosis. Therefore, I am giving an Anxiety Disorder NOS diagnosis, but do note that his Anxiety Disorder does relate to his combat tours in Afghanistan more likely than not."

I filed my claim on 30 August 2010 and had my C&P on 20 October 2010.

Not looking for any 'rating' guesses, just general thoughts and comments on the C&P exam and how it was written up since this was AFTER the new PTSD rules were in effect.

Based on my notes of what I disucssed during the C&P exam, I believe that I meet the DMS-IV criteria for a stressor, at least 3 Intrusive/Recurrent symptoms, at least 4 Avoidant/Numbing symptoms (VA examiner states he only saw 2), and VA examiner states that I exhibit all of the Hyper-Arousal symtoms.

Thanks,

OEF 21B

20 Oct 10_C&P Exam from Dallas VAMC_Public View_Low Res.pdf

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Update on 1st VA MH Appointment.

I had my 1st VA MH appointment this morning and I really like my Doctor. He was very professional and easy to talk with. He gave me several memory tests and he asked me several questions about how I was feeling and so forth. At one point, he said that he was going to check my on-line records and he started reading my C&P. He asked me how I thought it went and I told him that I didn't think that my examiner did a very thorough job and he said that the VA has consistently had "issues" with this examiner. He couldn't believe that he rated me with an Anxiety Disorder NOS and not PTSD and said that he was going to put a note in my file with his diagnosis of PTSD and he then informed me to appeal my rating as soon as i comes in if it doesn't state PTSD.

I'm going back this afternoon for an orientation on the group PTSD counseling program and hopefully will start counseling with a group of OIF/OEF vets. Still no word from the VARO in Waco, but I'm glad that someone from the VA has officially diagnosed me with PTSD!

Semper Fi,

OEF 21B

My VSO sent a copy of my latest MH evaluation down to the Waco RO (PTSD-Chronic, due to combat stress, Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia, GAF 47) so the rating board will have three evaluations to review when they start rating my claim (Civilan MD-Psych: MDD, PTSD, Anxiety Disorder, GAF 45; C&P Examiner (Psychologist) Anxiety Disorder NOS, Obsessive Compulsive traits, GAF 70) Hopefully the VARO rating board will take all information into account and rate my claim fairly.

I had a follow-up meeting with the VA Doc that runs the OEF/OIF Group sessions and we spent almost an hour yesterday discussing my issues. I start with this group tomorrow and I'm looking forward to finally getting some help!

Semper Fi,

OEF 21B

OEF,

Glad you are starting some therapy and groups.

The doc that provided a PTSD diagnosis, if it's a VAMC or Vet Center

Psychiatrist or Psychologist, I would get a copy of that report

and be sure to submit it now.

Heck, even if it's a private MH professional, if it's in your favor

I would submit it now.

OEF,

Glad you are starting some therapy and groups.

The doc that provided a PTSD diagnosis, if it's a VAMC or Vet Center

Psychiatrist or Psychologist, I would get a copy of that report

and be sure to submit it now.

Heck, even if it's a private MH professional, if it's in your favor

I would submit it now.

Hi Carlie - The 1st MH write up from my VA MD-Psych is in my file (just checked on e-vets this AM!) Once I get this second VA MD-Psych report, I'll add it to my packet as well. So far I have two PTSD diagnosis from MD-Psychs (1-VA MD, GAF 47; 1-Civ MD GAF 45) vs (1-C&P 70).

Not sure what the Group VA Doc will give me, but he spent a good bit of time discussing how my PTSD was affecting my work and home life and then "invited" me to join the OEF/OIF Group sessions. Once I get a copy of his report, I'll send that down as well.

Thanks for your comments! ...and I will definitely follow your advice!!!

Semper Fi,

OEF 21B

Thanks for all of the comments. Spoke with my new DAV rep today and he basically reinforced the fact that I need to wait until we get the final rating from the VARO. My 1st VA MH appointment is next week on the 14th so I'm going to wait and see if I'm assigned to an actual M.D. Psychologist or just a Psychiatrist... I have the name and number of a civilian Dr. that specializes in DMS-IV PTSD diagnosis, and may still get a 2nd opinion based on how I feel after meeting with the VA MH staff.

Thanks!

OEF 21B

OEF,

I'm glad you and your rep have decided to go ahead and send in the updated

medical evidence now, instead of waiting for a decision.

Just so you know - this additional medical evidence will more likely than not

add a bit of waiting time for a rating decision for you right now

BUT

on the other hand -

if this additional medical evidence was not submitted now for the

present adjudication, then you may have easily ended up with either a denial

or a lesser rating. Then you would have to file a NOD and kind of start all over

but you would be starting in the Appeals line this time.

It's still possible that you might end up filing a NOD on whatever rating decision you receive

but I think you will fare much better with this additional medical evidence being in the record now.

Hope this makes sense and helps a vet.

JMHO

"but I'm glad that someone from the VA has officially diagnosed me with PTSD!"

YES! for PTSD claims coming under the new PTSD rules, it is mandatory to have a VA diagnosis of PTSD.

A vet under the way the new rules are worded could have PTSD diagnosis from Sigmund Freud and if the VA will not diagnosis him/her with PTSD-the vet has no appellate rights to submit an IMO.

(see my article on this at VA Watchdog.org.archives as to the court Petition filed on this travesty.

After the year's end I think more advocates will begin to pressure for a change in this rule.