VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Ptsd Rules - New Topic

Rate this question

OEF 21B

Question

Any C&P Experts,

Here's a "clean" copy of my C&P exam where the VA examiner states "As mentioned above, while I do see a number of symptoms of PTSD, I do not see sufficient evidence to support a full PTSD diagnosis. Therefore, I am giving an Anxiety Disorder NOS diagnosis, but do note that his Anxiety Disorder does relate to his combat tours in Afghanistan more likely than not."

I filed my claim on 30 August 2010 and had my C&P on 20 October 2010.

Not looking for any 'rating' guesses, just general thoughts and comments on the C&P exam and how it was written up since this was AFTER the new PTSD rules were in effect.

Based on my notes of what I disucssed during the C&P exam, I believe that I meet the DMS-IV criteria for a stressor, at least 3 Intrusive/Recurrent symptoms, at least 4 Avoidant/Numbing symptoms (VA examiner states he only saw 2), and VA examiner states that I exhibit all of the Hyper-Arousal symtoms.

Thanks,

OEF 21B

20 Oct 10_C&P Exam from Dallas VAMC_Public View_Low Res.pdf

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I had been originally rated as 10% for bipolar, and PTSD also dx'ed but no rating. I am currently at 100% for bipolar and PTSD is still mentioned, but they only award the worst mental condition. I am the first to admit that the problems I have with bipolar far outweigh the problems I have with PTSD - paranoia, hyper-vigilance, isolationism, are just things I live with.

The key is to get the service connection and then NOD/ask for increase to the level where the regs meet your condition.

I have turned down PTSD treatment because I fell the troops coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan need the class space more than I. I have had years becoming accustomed to my PTSD and can live with it. It's when my bipolar thinks my life needs some chaos, and then things can get interesting. Without my wife to help monitor me, I would probably be dead from trying something really stupid; thinking I could do it.

• HadIt.com Elder

"Without my wife to help monitor me, I would probably be dead from trying something really stupid; thinking I could do it."

WOW, ain't that the trooooth!

Sometimes, if it weren't for my Wife/Nurse I'd be out sky-divin' without the 'chute! Knowing, of course, due to the bi-polar, that, if I simply flapped my "wings" fast enough, that I COULD FLY!

Here's to the Wives and significant others that help us hold ourselves together!

THEY deserve the medals and the compensation!

I tend to disagree with JB on this one. The examiner DOES connect the Anxiety NOS to military service.

Lessee................I'd give it a 9.8 on "difficulty" and a 8.0.............ooooops, I'm sorry..........I was thinking about something else....................I'd give it a 30% on the Anxiety NOS.

I would have to agree with Larry on this one and also feel that

you will be SC'd for an Anxiety Disorder at 30 percent.

The doctor provided a very clear nexus to active duty.

In my opinion - I myself would not be too concerned with which

mental health disorder was SC'd as they are all rated under the same schedule.

That is - unless I felt I may die from the MH condition and that may

muddy up DIC for my family.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I would still get a second opinion from a Doctor instead of a Practitioner.

I agree completely with JB.

I honestly believe that a practitioner has no business nor the expertise in diagnosing PTSD.

• HadIt.com Elder

In the end it does not matter what they call your mental health condition if you are rated correctly for it. If you get 100% for PTSD or Bipolar it is the same money. The main thing is service connection. If you are IU for anxiety disorder or depression you still are unable to work. When the VA SC'es you for something like chronic pain disorder and for bipolar, but only rates the bipolar that does create a problem. You find the VA treating the chronic pain as if it were NSC just because it only shows a rating for bipolar. I was rated for PN secondary to DMII. The VA claims that since the PN rating does not specifically say anything about chronic pain that somehow the PN and the pain are separate and unrelated issues. This is the VA splitting hairs just like they are going to do with IHD as opposed to CAD for AO.

Thanks for all of the comments. Spoke with my new DAV rep today and he basically reinforced the fact that I need to wait until we get the final rating from the VARO. My 1st VA MH appointment is next week on the 14th so I'm going to wait and see if I'm assigned to an actual M.D. Psychologist or just a Psychiatrist... I have the name and number of a civilian Dr. that specializes in DMS-IV PTSD diagnosis, and may still get a 2nd opinion based on how I feel after meeting with the VA MH staff.

Thanks!

OEF 21B