VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From Vso

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I got a letter from my VSO yesterday saying that I should soon be receiving notification from the VA that my claim for IU has been granted, and is "permanent". Since the rating is permanent, I will be receiving information about other benefits.

I called his office, because I couldn't believe it. His assistant assured me that they had sent the letter to the right Hedgey, and it was really my information, and that there really was a decision letter stating that it's permanent, and that I would be getting retro back to last year. He told me to call back on Monday to talk to the VSO about the other benefits.

I'm in turmoil here. I'm excited and sick to my stomach at the same time. I haven't told my spouse because I'm afraid it's not real and I don't want to have to say it was all a mistake.

I know I won't really believe it until I have the letter from the VA in my hand, and the money in the bank. But this is a good sign, right? I wanted to call the VA 800 number to verify it, but I was afraid to. What other benefits are there? I thought that IU only meant the $$ compensation was boosted to 100%.

I couldn't sleep last night. I guess I'm just posting here about it now because I can't tell anyone else. Thanks for being here, dear Hadit!

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

hedgey - congrats!!!! Chances are it's true cuz VSO's are notified before vets, as it allows the VSO's to appear that they are "knights in shining armour." The money "may" be in bank before notice arrives. TDIU, w/P&T, brings 100% rate of pay, ChampVA medical insurance for spouse and minor children, plus Chapter 35 educational benefits, for spouse and children under 26 yo, w/some beneficial exceptions. It will also bring some other state and federal bennies. Congrats, again!!!

pr

I got a letter from my VSO yesterday saying that I should soon be receiving notification from the VA that my claim for IU has been granted, and is "permanent". Since the rating is permanent, I will be receiving information about other benefits.

I called his office, because I couldn't believe it. His assistant assured me that they had sent the letter to the right Hedgey, and it was really my information, and that there really was a decision letter stating that it's permanent, and that I would be getting retro back to last year. He told me to call back on Monday to talk to the VSO about the other benefits.

I'm in turmoil here. I'm excited and sick to my stomach at the same time. I haven't told my spouse because I'm afraid it's not real and I don't want to have to say it was all a mistake.

I know I won't really believe it until I have the letter from the VA in my hand, and the money in the bank. But this is a good sign, right? I wanted to call the VA 800 number to verify it, but I was afraid to. What other benefits are there? I thought that IU only meant the $$ compensation was boosted to 100%.

I couldn't sleep last night. I guess I'm just posting here about it now because I can't tell anyone else. Thanks for being here, dear Hadit!

This is GREAT!!!!!!

Still I know how you feel-

I never felt an award was real until I had the cash. They usually sent me check or deposited the money days before I got a letter.

Which was worse-as one time I got a big check from VA and I thought it had to be a mistake.

I called 800# and got Jim- in those days I knew some 800 Operators by their voice. He assured me it was not a mistake and the money was mine but to wait for the letter.

This was on a Thursday, no letter Friday,Saturdsay or Monday so I called 800 again Monday after the mail came and got Jim again.

I said Jim I spent the whole check at K Mart this weekend so I sure hope you can tell me what it was for.

He bust out laughing. This was a five figure check and I was horrified to even deposit it.

Finally the letter came. I was so DUMB. The VA had offset my DIC check due to FTCA offset for many years.

They had continued the offset after they had recovered it entirely,for almost 9 years or more.I didnt question this as I figured at some point they would stop the offset.I didn't miss what I didn't get.( a monthly DIC check)

They would generate a DIC amount every month then keep it towards the offset.

The Regional Counsel VA was given something to verify when I re- opened my claim in 2003 regarding my FTCA case.

He saw they were still keeping my DIC and he ordered them to pay me what they mistakenly had kept.

That was the reason for the check. I feel incredibly dumb whenever I think about this.I never took the time to really figure out how they were handling the offset and didn't even want to re open the claim but my daughter kept on me to do that.

My award made the entire offset moot and they refunded it.

Maybe this will help someone-

If you get a settlement under FTCA and part of it or all of it is offset to your 1151 compensation-

and then you can prove the 1151 disabilty should be directly SCed, then VA will have to refund the entire offset.

They wont do it willingly-I had to fight for almost a year to get it.

• HadIt.com Elder

The money may show up in your account before you get the letter. When I got "S" via a CUE the retro money just showed up in my account one day. I knew what it had to be and I got a letter a few days later. Now you will at least have money to pay the bills. This is a big load off especially in these times.