Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Svr Radios Show 12 / 08/2010 (Change Of Venue)

This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 


Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 


This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.



Recommended Posts

  • Moderator

We have decided as part one of out claims process discussion to have Hadit.com's founder amd matriarch, TBird on as a guest speaker.

If you want to know how Hadit.com came about as well as many other things don't miss it. You don't want to miss this one opportunity to meet this wonderful lady.

Please join our host Jerrel Cook, Carlie, TBird, Stretch and myself for a very intormative and educational hour.

The chat room and phone lines will be open, I hope to see a bunch of participation fromt he website.

Stretch should post a call in phone number soon.

John AKA Jbasser.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • In Memoriam


1. Please join Hadit / SVR Webinar.


2. You will be connected to audio using your computer's microphone and speakers (VoIP). A headset is recommended.

Or, you may select "Use Telephone" after joining the Webinar.

Dial +1 916 233 3088

Access Code: 484-483-751

Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting

Webinar ID: 549-191-033


Web Events and Online Meetings Made Easy


Edited by Stretch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Community Admin/Founder

Thank you to those who were able to attend or listen to the show last night Dec 8, 2010. I hope you find the show helpful or at the least entertaining.

If you missed the show. Listen to Archive Here

Some topics discussed that bear repeating.


To file an informal claim. Call the V.A. 1-800-827-1000 get a live human being and tell them you want to file an informal claim. They will open a claim for you and send you the forms to fill out. You must fill out the forms and return them. However, should you prevail in your claim your effective date for retroactive pay will go back to the day you called in and filed the informal claim, which means more money for you!

The second reason is there are built in protections for ratings after 5, 10 and 20 years and these to will go back to the date you filed the informal claim.

5 Elements of a Claim

(1) You must be eligible. In other words, you must have served and possess a discharge that is other than dishonorable. If your discharge is other than honorable but not dishonorable, there may be restrictions on the type of benefits you may receive.

(2) You must have an current injury or illness (condition) that can be attributed to your service. This means that you should have a fairly clear diagnosis in a medical record prepared by a qualified health care provider, preferrably a physician. The more precisely defined the condition is in the record, the better it is for your application for benefits.

(3) You must have evidence to support your claim. The strongest evidence is that of an event that is recorded in a Service Medical Record (SMR) and a detailed description of the cause of the injury or illness leading to the condition, as well as how it was treated and any residual effects of the event. If the condition is related to a non-combat related event, documentation of the accident or incident that caused a condition (such as a broken bone), documentation of an admission to a military or other hospital, a record of treatment and follow-up care. Not everthing is required for every claim, but the more supporting evidence, the better chance of an award. (4) Your medical evidence must be clear enought to prove to VA that your current condition is connected to the in-service event - this is called "service connection" or "nexus." Without a service connection, all the evdence in the world of a current medical condition and an event in service will not result in an award of benefits. Source:
Jim Stricklands Knol

(5) Tell them the effective of the disability when did you start having trouble with it.

Effective Dates

38CFR3.400 -

Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I logged in a little late yesterday, mainly do to the time difference from CMT & MST. I know I should of known.lol. This was my first listening in to Svr, and I'll tell ya, it was very interesting. You guys want a little laugh? Some of you will probably think I'm nuts but I don't care, Everyone needs a good laugh now and then! Anyway, during the last minute or so towards the end of the show they unmuted us (the listeners) and ask us for any comment. So I just stated talking away to my computer thinking they can hear eveything I'm saying. You know just like in the movies! Well my 13 year old Grandaughter came in and asked who I was talking to. I looked at her, and turned and faced my computer and said; "Myself Honey".

P.S. Do I Need to buy a mike for my computer? lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • In Memoriam

Yes, you need a microphone. You can buy a head set. If you need help you can email, and I will call to set it up...

Nice to have the head set anyway if you sleep odd hours like I do....I got mine at radio shack, and the head set is called gigaware...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, you need a microphone. You can buy a head set. If you need help you can email, and I will call to set it up...

Nice to have the head set anyway if you sleep odd hours like I do....I got mine at radio shack, and the head set is called gigaware...

Thanks Stretch!

I better buy one so my grandaughter can get off my case. She's still laughing at me. I told her Santa isn't coming to my house if she tells her parents about it. Don't think she fell for it.lol. Ok, radio shack, gigaware, gotcha! If I have any trouble setting it up I'll email you. Thanks again Stretch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • Advertisemnt

  • question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.


    You can read the forums without registering.


    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.


    Leading to:


    Post straightforward questions and then post background information.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?


    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.




    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines