VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Home Care And Housebound

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA PT guy came to my house today and did an exercise routine on me with stretching and other stuff. Since I can't walk or stand much with my foot the way it is this is a benefit. The thing is that if the therapy is going to do me lasting good I probably need it for the rest of my life. That is probably not going to happen on the VA's dime. I guess I will be sore and my back hurts now. I believe in PT so maybe this will help. I am not totally sure how PT helps DDD but I will give it a shot. I sure would try and get this type of help if I was a housebound vet with any physical problems. It is available under fee base.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Hey John hang in there with it I suffer from an advanced arthritis and I am trying going to the local YMCA my sister comes and gets me. I also have trouble with the same symptoms you describe. I can tell you actually any movement you can do helps you know the old saying use it or loose it in my case it is true I hurt when I stay on my feet get stiff and hurt like hell when I stay down too long. If you have the coverage through Medicare and they offeer you a plan like mine I suggest if you have the ability to get into the pool it takes the weight off of your joints. I am housebound myself and understand what it means having mobility issues. Holler at me if I can be of help I hope this helps. I have never had a visit from the Physical terrorist I mean Theraphist but what ever works for you....

• HadIt.com Elder

The reason I have not used a gym is because of my foot. I also don't have an indoor pool around here I can use. I am not going to go into the pool when it is 50 degrees. The home visit from the PT guy was ok but he wants to come when it is good for him. I have to get him to come ever other day and not when it suits him. I know the PT is all about making money for these outfits. Today my back is really hurting so I need a day of rest. If my foot heals up and I can stand I will go to a gym or get PT outside the home. The trouble I see with PT is that you get so little of it. I need it for the rest of my life as I see it.

I got PT from the VA and the last few sessions were devoted to me learning exercises that would help with my disabilities. My advice is to go ahead and take the PT and ask the PT for exercises you can do on your own.

• HadIt.com Elder

I tried doing that once that told me due to my cardiac issues I could only use the heated pool twice a week for 5 minutes, they have to be kidding it takes an hour to get to the VA change into my suit get wet and dry off and an hour home again I told them thanks but no thanks I bought a house with a pool and I go in when ever I feel like it like John I don't go in during the winter but I do have the hot tub for the fall and winter lol they can't tell me how long I can stay in my own pool

• HadIt.com Elder

TestVet

I have the same problem with access to the VAMC. It takes an hour to get to the hospital for some PT and then another hour to get back home. This is why I asked them to come to my house to do this PT. The VA won't let me use fee base to go to a PT clinic close to my house, but they will pay someone to come to my house and do it. That seems dumb. The only reason I got this is because of "S". The technicalities of VA law are much more important than the heath of the vet.