VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New And Have Questions

Rate this question

jstan2010

Question

Hi folks, I'm new here and found this site while doing some research. I wanted to say thanks for all the great info on the site and also post some details and questions about my scenario.

I have been awarded and receiving 60% disability since September 2004 for degenerative disc disease, pfs, and flat feet. That said, at the time of award, I was married with 2 children. I have since expanded my family to 7 children. We recently had twins and this prompted me to look things over with my benefits. I realized that I never updated or added any more dependents with the VA. Admittedly, this was ignorance on my part for never doing so, it just never crossed my mind.

My question, I think, is how do I go about adding my additional children? Also, should I expect this to ever happen in a timely manner? Lastly, will they back pay to the birth dates, or did I screw myself out of that? I feel like an idiot for never doing this, but it just never crossed my mind.

I also would like to know about trying to get additional compensation for a condition that I did not claim at the time of my visit to the VA. I have a constant high pitch ringing in my ears(I was a hydraulic mechanic and worked around the constant whine of hydraulic pumps). I wasn't aware that this was something I should have claimed, but now see it's tinnitus and should have.

Please give any and all input and advice.

Thanks,

Jason

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Fill the attached form and send in copies of each childs birth certificate. I believe they were entitled to benefits the day they were born.

Write a 21-4138 out and explain that you are adding them as your dependents, The effective date should be the first of the month following birth.

You could change your last name to Brady. (Ha Ha). Just joking.

J

VBA-21-686c-ARE.pdf

Thanks for the correct form, I was not sure if that was the correct one. Um...as you were joking about, there is not enough room on the form for all of them!!! Do I just attach a second form?

You will have to submit a new claim for the tinnitis which is rated at 10% whether its one or both ears. I'm sure you have documentation of noise exposure, since I believe you should have been in the hearing conservation program, you can check your SMR and look at your hearing test over the time you were active duty. Where you ever in a combat situation?

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll get this all sent in ASAP. I don't really expect it, but back pay would be nice.

For the tinnitus, I do have my SMR and a nice copy of my training jacket that will both show that I was in the Hearing Conservation Program. I was around loud equipment daily, no combat fortunately/unfortunately.

Thanks again!

• HadIt.com Elder

Fill the attached form and send in copies of each childs birth certificate. I believe they were entitled to benefits the day they were born.

Write a 21-4138 out and explain that you are adding them as your dependents, The effective date should be the first of the month following birth.

You could change your last name to Brady. (Ha Ha). Just joking.

J

VBA-21-686c-ARE.pdf

I think your right, mine were backdated to the day my daughter was born.

I got dependents benefits and was "shafted" on the effective date because I waited. If you adopted children, I dont think you will get anything prior to the date of adoption..not the childs birth date.

Its a good question, but I think dependents are like anything else..your effective date is the later of the "facts found" or the date you applied.