VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cause Of Death Of The Veteran

Rate this question

Brenda

Question

My beloved husband, died in April this year, he was service connected at 80% 50% ptsd 30% frostbite resadule 20% Unemployable for 100% compensation, what i need to know , i have a claim for dic and ptsd as cause of death, the death certificate states coronary Artery Deasese , he had alot of deasese like diabetties type 2 mellintus , high blood pressure, and coronary heart desease, he had coronary bypass surgury a few years ago and just 2 years ago the va put in stents in the heart , i filled my claim as service connected ptsd as cause, he was service connected for 10 + about 15 years i believe. i was denied for dic and cause of death, can anyone advise me as how to handle this claim with the va, thanks so much .........DAV Veterans Widow

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

John is right-

If the CAD is ischemic in nature (and most CAD is) the Coroner will usually write it that way on the death certificate as to cardiac ischemia and add any other contributing factors.

When my husband died the Coroner asked me for all conditions he had and when I said he was SCed for PTSD the coroner said he was well aware of how devastating this disability is but he never puts PTSD on a death certificate.He wrote cardiac ischemic, long standing, with death occuring in minutes with cerebral ischemia contributing.

What does your husband's death certificate say as to cause of death?

The VA holds to the cause of death on the death certificate and all autopsy findings if an autopsy was done.

Did he ever claim the DMII as service connected?

When death is found to be caused by or contributed to by a service connected disabilty-the VA will award DIC.

• HadIt.com Elder

John is right if you worded your DIC claim wrong then the VARO won't go beyond what you put on paper if you resubmit ans base it on the fact he has been SC for more than 10 years and the cause of death does not matter then they will quit being ignorant and approve the claim but if you stated is was caused by PTSD and the death certificate says CAD then they just added 2+2 and came up with denial you need to find out when his TDIU was granted and did he have the 10 years required SC at that rate