VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

Philip Rogers

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Decided I better start my own link, rather than hi-jack cooters, on sleep apnea (SA). Anyway, last night I went back to VA contracted sleep study program, for more study and CPAP pressure settings and mask fittings. My doc advised me I had 59 apnea episodes in my first sleep study. I guess I'm considered a fairly serious case, w/59 episodes. What a time we had trying to find a mask. I know it'll take some time to get used to the machine, when I finally get one. In the mean time I'll need to research PTSD and SA. I'm sure I can get an IMO that'll SC it. I'm just wondering how long I've had it. In reviewing the symptoms, I see I've had many of them for yrs and am just wondering if they're related? Hypertension, memory loss, increased heart beat, weight gain, trouble concentrating, tiredness, diabetes, frequent nocturnal urination???? Damn, I'm falling apart!!!

Anyone know how they rate SA?? Thanks!

pr

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6847 Sleep Apnea Syndromes (Obstructive, Central, Mixed):

Chronic respiratory failure with carbon dioxide retention or cor pulmonale, or; requires tracheostomy 100%

Requires use of breathing assistance device such as continuous airway pressure (CPAP) machine 50%

Persistent day-time hypersomnolence 30%

Asymptomatic but with documented sleep disorder breathing 0%

What a time we had trying to find a mask.

pr

pr,

My Mom must have gone thru at least 6 different types.

There are also some nose buds to try.

From what I remember you want silicone unless you

have an allergy to silicone.

The silicone is softer and much more flexible.

Also, with my Mom - her CPAP machine had a place to put distilled water

in for moisture - not to dry you out so much.

Hope this helps.

XOXO

philip if your going to try to tie your ptsd to your sleep apnea the va is not going to service connect it, i tried that and failed. but if your taken medications for ptsd that are causing you to gain weight than i recommend getting an imo stating that the weight gain caused buy your medications is aggravating your sleep apnea. i tried to get it service connecte and it took me 3 1/2 years and that was the only way i was able to get it sc. i am not trying to incourge you on not to allpy but just informing you about my experience but every ro is differnt and going buy there own rules. good luck.

The VA gave me a CPAP machine with a humidifier also. Works good as along as I don't turn it up too high. It took me about 2 months to get use to the nasal mask. I think they call them nasal pillows. I been a piece of romex (heavy electric wire) into a hook for my headboard and the hose hangs up there and takes the pressure off. Keep playing with it and you'll get use to it.

I have had a CPAP since around 1998-99, and would be dead without it. I personally do not like the nasal mask, keep thinking how opposums have sex :smile: . Just kidding Title. I know that I had Sleep Apnea in the service, but they did not know what it was at the time. I told a doctor that I snored like a freight train, and was not sleeping well. His reply was, "sleep on your side". I know Buddy statements may help, but most of the ones I served with I lost track of, or they are dead or in jail. I did send the VA a statement from my wife. While we were dating I would stay the night at her and 4 roommates duplex on the couch. Darn, I tried, but talk about old fashioned :tongue:. Well she use to yell at me to shut the hell up before the police arrive. Would this have any impact on the VA's decision?

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you, all, for your responses! They are certainly appreciated. I should be able to SC it, secondary to PTSD, but will probably need to incur the expense of an IMO. It will be worth it because then I'll qualify for the SMC "s" payments. I know it'll take some getting used to but I'm really gung ho about it. I just wonder how it's effected my body all this time. I know I asked for a sleep study, on a whim, after my VA group counselor was advised he had it, and never thinking I would have it. I had a confirmation when I was hospitalized a couple of weeks ago and they found my oxygen sats down to 82%, at night. Thanks again, all who responded and to all who take their valuable time to help others, here, at Hadit!!!

pr