VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

Philip Rogers

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Decided I better start my own link, rather than hi-jack cooters, on sleep apnea (SA). Anyway, last night I went back to VA contracted sleep study program, for more study and CPAP pressure settings and mask fittings. My doc advised me I had 59 apnea episodes in my first sleep study. I guess I'm considered a fairly serious case, w/59 episodes. What a time we had trying to find a mask. I know it'll take some time to get used to the machine, when I finally get one. In the mean time I'll need to research PTSD and SA. I'm sure I can get an IMO that'll SC it. I'm just wondering how long I've had it. In reviewing the symptoms, I see I've had many of them for yrs and am just wondering if they're related? Hypertension, memory loss, increased heart beat, weight gain, trouble concentrating, tiredness, diabetes, frequent nocturnal urination???? Damn, I'm falling apart!!!

Anyone know how they rate SA?? Thanks!

pr

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

just go see an outside sleep doctor for treatment and i bet you anything he would write you onr. if you lived in central texas i no of a great doctor he is my sleep doctor and he will help you.

Thank you, all, for your responses! They are certainly appreciated. I should be able to SC it, secondary to PTSD, but will probably need to incur the expense of an IMO. It will be worth it because then I'll qualify for the SMC "s" payments. I know it'll take some getting used to but I'm really gung ho about it. I just wonder how it's effected my body all this time. I know I asked for a sleep study, on a whim, after my VA group counselor was advised he had it, and never thinking I would have it. I had a confirmation when I was hospitalized a couple of weeks ago and they found my oxygen sats down to 82%, at night. Thanks again, all who responded and to all who take their valuable time to help others, here, at Hadit!!!

pr

Philip,

Glad you got your diagnosis so you can get treatment.

CPAP can be a miracle machine. Mine is less effective as I've gained weight over time but at least I'm not falling asleep in traffic :ohmy:

I used the Ramp-up feature only briefly before being able to just crank the thing on full force.

Started with nasal mask for years and recently switched to full-face due to nasal issues.

Even with humidifier the full face can really dry mouth out but, again, it's a great machine.

I hope you find good relief with it. :smile:

pr,

This link won't be any help for SA secondary to PTSD

BUT

it might be helpful down the road for you, if you can get

the SA secondary to PTSD.

You mentioned this medical problem in your original post in this topic.

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp09/files5/0942757.txt

3. The Veteran's hypertension was at least as likely as not

caused or aggravated by the Veteran's service connected

obstructive sleep apnea.

• HadIt.com Elder

PR

I got it and have a CPAP with humidifier. It took a lot of determination and my stubbornness to get used to it. It really helps and in ways I never imagined. Because I am sleeping with filtered air my allergies are much better. I feel better and more alert and do not doze off and over time you will get used to it.

The big thing is to make sure that you clean the mask and hose and the box weekly. If you don't you could get Legionnaires Disease. I use warm soapy water and about a half cup of white vinegar and than let it air dry for about an hour.

It can save your life 59 episodes are not as bad as you think but if the VA ISSUES YOU A cpap MACHINE YOU CAN BET YOUR BIPPY YOU NEED ONE. Sorry for the caps

Windy

I would appreciate the name and other info of this doctor. I live in San Antonio.

Papa

e='windy city' timestamp='1291900155' post='227947']

just go see an outside sleep doctor for treatment and i bet you anything he would write you onr. if you lived in central texas i no of a great doctor he is my sleep doctor and he will help you.