VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression From Diabetes

Rate this question

DMTREX

Question

I am a Type II diabetic and recieving benifits. My question is I am now taking medication for depression and I put in a claim for secondary connection. Got a letter asking for all of this information has anyone out there have any info that can share if they have been throught the same type of thing. Thanks

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

You will need strong medical evidence of the nexus (link) from the DMII to the depression.

Has your health care professional documented any link yet (such as a treating psychologist?)

or do you have private mental health care for the depression and if so would the private doc willing to prepare an IMO for you that medically links your DMII as the cause of the depression?

We have an IMO forum here with the IMO criteria in it.

IMO Independent Medical Opinion

Sometimes these are quite costly but they are also a good investment if a VA C & P doctor goes against the claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

There are two things to look at but you need a Doc to write an opinion that it is so. The meds that are provided for diabetes have side affects and can be found in write up that they can cause depression.

More important is that their is an association between life long disease and secondary depression.

Many but not all who have diabetes suffer from depression.