VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do You Rate Severe Spinal Stenosis

Rate this question

ocreswell

Question

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Just had my report for an MRI done on my neck-c-5-c-6 Mild bilateral uncovertebral joint degenerative artropathy, causing mild stenosis of the neural foramina bilaterally., Small posterior disc osteophyte complex, causing mild central canal stenosis.

C6--c7 level: Mild degenerative changes of the right unconvertebral joint, causing mild stenosis of the right neural foramen. Small posterior disc osteophyte complex, impringng the ventral aspect of the thecal sac, causing mild central canal stenosis.

Now-I wonder if all this mumble jumbo will do me any good for my appeal with the NOD for my neck that was declined for an higher evaluation. Since this is the 1st time I have ever had an an MRI, how could they say a few accidents(car) caused this when they never initially gave me an MRI in 96, or when I had pain caused from the helicopter crash in 88. I have had this pain for years.

If you ever figure it out, I'd sure like to know too. It almost seems like no matter what issues you have with the spine, the only basis for a rating is simply Range of Motion. Arthritis, DDD, stenosis, spondyolisthesis, fractures, any and all conditions seem to be meaningless. I have tried my best to find out why this is the case, but I give up.

One would think that a diagnosis of stenosis would get you rated for the nerve group affected. The only thing that will do that, though, to the best of my knowledge, is proof by EMG/NCV that there is disability. Being that stenosis is usually on again/off again depending on the position of the spinal cord, inflammation, etc., I don't believe a nerve conduction study can measure it accurately or fairly.

• HadIt.com Elder

Severe spinal stenosis is rates as IVDS. It is a max of 60 percent based on incapicitating episodes or bed rest for a period of time over a period of time.

title 38 cfr 4.71a ( I believe)

The kicker is that the effected nerves should be rated separate. Also bear in mind that the location of the stenosis can be life threatning such as areas in the neck like C3. It controls the diaphragm.

If it is the t or L spine then other problems arise like Sciatica.

Have you been offered surgury?

J

yes been offered surgery and epidoral shots still deciding have a claim pending

Severe spinal stenosis is rates as IVDS. It is a max of 60 percent based on incapicitating episodes or bed rest for a period of time over a period of time.

title 38 cfr 4.71a ( I believe)

The kicker is that the effected nerves should be rated separate. Also bear in mind that the location of the stenosis can be life threatning such as areas in the neck like C3. It controls the diaphragm.

If it is the t or L spine then other problems arise like Sciatica.

Have you been offered surgury?

J

you know your right just opened my eyes up... but got 1 good thing, just got 1 week of perscribe bed rest

If you ever figure it out, I'd sure like to know too. It almost seems like no matter what issues you have with the spine, the only basis for a rating is simply Range of Motion. Arthritis, DDD, stenosis, spondyolisthesis, fractures, any and all conditions seem to be meaningless. I have tried my best to find out why this is the case, but I give up.

One would think that a diagnosis of stenosis would get you rated for the nerve group affected. The only thing that will do that, though, to the best of my knowledge, is proof by EMG/NCV that there is disability. Being that stenosis is usually on again/off again depending on the position of the spinal cord, inflammation, etc., I don't believe a nerve conduction study can measure it accurately or fairly.

have been offered surgery and epidurals havent decided yet but if anyone can weigh in on this.. if you have spinal stenosis DDD DJD hypert,etc are you suppose to file a claim for each one separately? for L3 -L4 L4-L5 L5- S1 in the past they are rating as post operative residuals of degeneratve disc disease of the lumbar spine because i had surgery need another one....kept getting denied for Increase for yrs with just 20%,,,,condition has now gotten severe with the spinal stenosis DDD DJD and other problems of the back.....even with all this happening i think they only use the rating for invertabral disc syndrome which is the doctor prescribe bed rest ....i just filed a claim the new benefit sough is postoperative residuals of degenerative disc disease of the lumbar spine to include spinal stenosis, bilateral facet hypertrophy and bilateral high grade neural forminal stenosis at L5 -S1 been 7 months what a long wait they even told me that on the 1-800 # but since I left out the other levels i wonder will they include them??? I think thats were Im messing up,,, can you believe i Just out the blue ask my VS rep this could I do this and he said yes after all this time I now learned that you need to get good repesentation because fighting this thing alone is hard......