VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vet Rep Is Gone

Rate this question

slangpdx

Question

I just called the Oregon vet affairs office after not hearing from my rep for several months. I have had a request for reconsideration pending since August with an IMO, new evidence including two determinations of disability by different state agencies and a psyche test done by one of them which was what the IMO doc (themselves a former VA examiner) used as the basis of their opinion on top of my active duty records, which had substantial helpful info.

I just learned my rep is gone, my case has been reassigned to someone else "based on the last 2 of my ssn" (in other words randomly) and it will take them over a week just to request my file. I was told that the VA regional office would notifty me independently of them of a hearing date, so that if I have received nothing in the mail that I have not missed a hearing. I hope that is the case.

So how crucial is having a competent or knowledgeable rep at the hearing? Do I need to hire a lawyer (who may or may not know anything)? Ask my IMO doctor to appear? Ask someone else, counselor etc. who knows me appear? This has been on appeal since April after a February C&P and denial, changed to reconsideration in August. Needless to say like every other vet I have a lot riding on this.

Just need to know how crucial the rep is and I really don't have time to look for another one. I have been working under the VA compensated work therapy program for the past six months, I go off that status onto W-2 employee next week.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Now they want another C&P exam. Neither of my vet reps suggested that such a thing would happen. If it is anything like the first it seems they will try to determine I am not suicidal or clinically depressed and that will again be the end of it. I suppose the good news is this thing is moving forward but I am very wary of talking to them again because I thought the IMO I submitted would be the counter to the original C&P. I have called my vet rep to see if this is somehow a mistake

• HadIt.com Elder

On Sept 8 my former rep emailed me saying he had "asked for a reconsideration and DRO hearing to resolve the issue".

Did you or your rep file a formal "Notice of Disagreement" (NOD) yet???

Edited by Commander Bob

oh crap!.. I just read your post, not sure if I saw it before.. I think I answered to a post that was similar..

sound slike what happened to me..

my VSO left and I was nto notified until when one day I recieved the denail of my NOD.. (one of my appeals)..

I felt totally abononded and felt mlike I was starting from scratch adn my whole life was int he hands of the one Veterans Service Officer. I tried to get help, but they told me he left for anothe rposisiton and I had to wait for an appoitnemnt, and the next open appt was going to be in 4 months (this was around August 2010) which would mean they would not be able to help me with my case until January 2011.

I looked at my options and went directly to the VSO at the America Legion 50 miles away in San Doego, because they had walk-ins and time for me immediately. I had to start from scratch with new VSO because the new one did not know me and the huge amount of work I was dumping on her lap.

Again, in this forum I put up pictures of the boxes and stacks of medical records. It took 4 months of bring my New VSO records, discussing my case and traveling back and for with 100 miles round trips. My original VSO was only a 15 mile round trip.

I was left out hanging in the storm, in deep Shiste when my VSO left... if could not have been worse as he and that office knew me and my case. Now I am sick and having ot bring all of my case, all my claims and appeals to this new VSO. I cannot tell in words the devvastatioon I contiually go through with problem after problem.

My new VSO is nice, very thoughtful and always makes time for me. She has put up with my problems and my huge nightmare stacks of records. I now have my wife come with me every time I go so she can help and understand, because I need help and also when she askes me questions, she can know what i know by being there though all of the events.

sorry,.. I wen off and almost hijacked your thread...

my point was being left abondonded and stranded at a critical time is cruel. Even if it is the nowmal case of affairs for people to come and go, but just leaving without telling your clients shure does bite the big one..

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use