VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Going In For Migraines On Thursday The 16Th

Rate this question

Sapper

Question

Hi Everyone. I have been waiting for my TDIU claim that was filed in June of this year to finally go through. It seems they've been drawing it out longer and longer. Now I just recieved a phone call from the VA to schedule a C&P for my migraines. It sounds like they're trying to see if it's service connected by linking it with an IED explosion that I responded to. I was a ways away, but saw this explosion happen just after the truck passed us on a bridge as we were pulling an OP on a highway. My question is, how can I link my migraines to this?

My migraines seem to occur more frequently when I am having a high stress day, or a day when I have a panic attack. I do think about this explosion frequently, as we almost lost an Air Force soldier as a result of the blast. (I heard later that he flatlined once, but was brought back and survived, thank god) Should I be telling the examiner this and stating that as a connection with the explosion? That's about the only reason I can think of.

My hope is that this C&P which I expected them to pull on me, is hopefully the last step before this TDIU claim makes it to the rating board. You can check my older posts by clicking on my profile I believe, so feel free if you need to catch up on everything that's gone on so far with this claim. I can't believe it's taken almost 6 months for this to finally get to this stage, and we're still not even at the rating board. I just hope this isn't all for nothing.

On a side note, the VA C&P scheduling person who called told me I could wait until late January for an exam, or I could get in December 16th, if I wanted to take a 7:30 AM appointment. Of course, I pounced on that, knowing how long and drawn out this process can be, and I want to get it done and over with. She tried to almost talk me out of going so early, and kept telling me that 7:30 is a very early appointment. (Well no kidding...)

I guess my main question is, what kind of advice can you give on Migraines with the C&P, and what should I expect from the examiner? I know they are all different, but I'm hoping this one isn't as bad as the PTSD ones I've had in the past. The appointment person told me it shouldn't be like a PTSD exam at all, as this doctor is only going to be inquiring about migraines. I hope they stay in their lane and don't wander outside of it, because I feel that my last PTSD exam for TDIU that I had a couple months ago was in my favor, and they don't try to mess that up.

Thank you in advance for your comments and advice. Take care and Happy Holidays!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My only advise would be to be there early and tell it like it is. Explain your headaches the same way you would if you were talking to one of us here on Hadit. Good Luck.

Lugnut

The C&P examiner is going to need to provide a nexus to AD

or say they are a secondary condition to a already SC'd disability.

Migraines are rated under DC 8100 or if there was a TBI involved

they might be rated as one of the facets in DC 8045.

Both DC criteria's can be found here:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/julqtr/38cfr4.124a.htm

"My migraines seem to occur more frequently when I am having a high stress day, or a day when I have a panic attack" This is a point you should make to the examiner.

Do you get SSDI benefits? If so what are they for? And does VA know of the SSDI?

Did you get a copy of the PTSD exam?

"My migraines seem to occur more frequently when I am having a high stress day, or a day when I have a panic attack" This is a point you should make to the examiner.

Do you get SSDI benefits? If so what are they for? And does VA know of the SSDI? Yes, for my VA Disabilities, mostly PTSD - Depression, and Yes, I have sent in the copy of the award letter and they have contacted SSDI for documents.

Did you get a copy of the PTSD exam? Yes, I posted it earlier on here, it should still be up on a link. I actually believe you commented on it before in the past. If you want me to link it let me know and I can.

Thanks Berta!

Thanks Carlie, this helps out a ton, now I know what they're going to be looking for!

The C&P examiner is going to need to provide a nexus to AD

or say they are a secondary condition to a already SC'd disability.

Migraines are rated under DC 8100 or if there was a TBI involved

they might be rated as one of the facets in DC 8045.

Both DC criteria's can be found here:

http://edocket.acces...38cfr4.124a.htm