VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Going In For Migraines On Thursday The 16Th

Rate this question

Sapper

Question

Hi Everyone. I have been waiting for my TDIU claim that was filed in June of this year to finally go through. It seems they've been drawing it out longer and longer. Now I just recieved a phone call from the VA to schedule a C&P for my migraines. It sounds like they're trying to see if it's service connected by linking it with an IED explosion that I responded to. I was a ways away, but saw this explosion happen just after the truck passed us on a bridge as we were pulling an OP on a highway. My question is, how can I link my migraines to this?

My migraines seem to occur more frequently when I am having a high stress day, or a day when I have a panic attack. I do think about this explosion frequently, as we almost lost an Air Force soldier as a result of the blast. (I heard later that he flatlined once, but was brought back and survived, thank god) Should I be telling the examiner this and stating that as a connection with the explosion? That's about the only reason I can think of.

My hope is that this C&P which I expected them to pull on me, is hopefully the last step before this TDIU claim makes it to the rating board. You can check my older posts by clicking on my profile I believe, so feel free if you need to catch up on everything that's gone on so far with this claim. I can't believe it's taken almost 6 months for this to finally get to this stage, and we're still not even at the rating board. I just hope this isn't all for nothing.

On a side note, the VA C&P scheduling person who called told me I could wait until late January for an exam, or I could get in December 16th, if I wanted to take a 7:30 AM appointment. Of course, I pounced on that, knowing how long and drawn out this process can be, and I want to get it done and over with. She tried to almost talk me out of going so early, and kept telling me that 7:30 is a very early appointment. (Well no kidding...)

I guess my main question is, what kind of advice can you give on Migraines with the C&P, and what should I expect from the examiner? I know they are all different, but I'm hoping this one isn't as bad as the PTSD ones I've had in the past. The appointment person told me it shouldn't be like a PTSD exam at all, as this doctor is only going to be inquiring about migraines. I hope they stay in their lane and don't wander outside of it, because I feel that my last PTSD exam for TDIU that I had a couple months ago was in my favor, and they don't try to mess that up.

Thank you in advance for your comments and advice. Take care and Happy Holidays!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Service Connected for Cluster Headaches here which is rated under 8100 Migraines. I have been through the exam a couple of times as I have gone to the initial and then been re evaluated.

What to expect during the exam to determine if you have migraines: You will be poked a few times to check for poor circulation and they will do some follow the pen with your eye test and balance tests. Mostlly they are just ruling out that you don't have other problems that would present with the same/similar symptoms. They will ask for a history including occurrence, pain level, work missed due to headaches, ect.

As far as connecting your headaches as a secondary to an already service connected disability I differ to the others.

I've been dealing with migraines for 12 years as the result of a bad car accident. About two years ago, I started keeping a journal of the migraines looking for triggers. I also entered other issues from the accident as well. When I went through my initial C&P, TBI wasn't on the VA radar. After nine years and a lot of journaling, I was rated 50% (the max) for migraines. On the initial C&P, I gave great detail as to the frequency, current medications, and each and every symptom. As you know, don't be a hero during the C&P - tell it like it is, even if you think you might embarrass yourself. During your exam, explain all the details of your symptoms: aura, nausea, vertigo, numbness, ringing in your ears, whatever your particular symptoms are. Act as if the person examining you has never had a headache. They may stray into other conditions, and if they do, relate how that condition either contributes to or is a result of the migraines.

Now, each time I see the neurologist, I take the journal, go over all of what I’ve documented: frequency, pain levels, etc. so it gets entered into the VA system. It sounds like a pain (no cynicism intended), but you need to do this to point out triggers (stress as you've stated, and possibly others). Once rated, as you know, you are subject to follow-up C&Ps any time the VA feels like re-evaluating your conditions. Journaling will help with all of them.

If at all possible, try to go back in time and track the dates you've had the migraines, symptoms, etc. I know it will be difficult to reconstruct, but do your best. Sorry for 'building a watch to tell you what time it is', but this is what works for me. Don’t depend on memory as we tend to forget pain. Had it not been for the journal, I wouldn’t have picked up on other issues to discuss with other VA docs. It also gets you into the habit of keeping records not just for C&Ps in the future, but for meds that work/don't work, possible triggers and other issues you might be dealing with, and other conditions that may develop as a result of service connected conditions. Have your spouse (if you have one) make entries as well. My wife records every time I have a nightmare (several per week), thrashing, and how any particular condition is impacting her and the kids.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much for the great adivce. My Pshyhologist suggested the same, but to explain to the doctors about them, not for a C&P. I will do my best to write down some notes before my C&P on Thursday, hopefully it will help. Thanks again for your detailed reply, I think this will help very much. Take care!

I've been dealing with migraines for 12 years as the result of a bad car accident. About two years ago, I started keeping a journal of the migraines looking for triggers. I also entered other issues from the accident as well. When I went through my initial C&P, TBI wasn't on the VA radar. After nine years and a lot of journaling, I was rated 50% (the max) for migraines. On the initial C&P, I gave great detail as to the frequency, current medications, and each and every symptom. As you know, don't be a hero during the C&P - tell it like it is, even if you think you might embarrass yourself. During your exam, explain all the details of your symptoms: aura, nausea, vertigo, numbness, ringing in your ears, whatever your particular symptoms are. Act as if the person examining you has never had a headache. They may stray into other conditions, and if they do, relate how that condition either contributes to or is a result of the migraines.

Now, each time I see the neurologist, I take the journal, go over all of what I've documented: frequency, pain levels, etc. so it gets entered into the VA system. It sounds like a pain (no cynicism intended), but you need to do this to point out triggers (stress as you've stated, and possibly others). Once rated, as you know, you are subject to follow-up C&Ps any time the VA feels like re-evaluating your conditions. Journaling will help with all of them.

If at all possible, try to go back in time and track the dates you've had the migraines, symptoms, etc. I know it will be difficult to reconstruct, but do your best. Sorry for 'building a watch to tell you what time it is', but this is what works for me. Don't depend on memory as we tend to forget pain. Had it not been for the journal, I wouldn't have picked up on other issues to discuss with other VA docs. It also gets you into the habit of keeping records not just for C&Ps in the future, but for meds that work/don't work, possible triggers and other issues you might be dealing with, and other conditions that may develop as a result of service connected conditions. Have your spouse (if you have one) make entries as well. My wife records every time I have a nightmare (several per week), thrashing, and how any particular condition is impacting her and the kids.

Best of luck to you!