VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Results?

Rate this question

Clusterheadache

Question

Hello all, new to this forum and here to get some good advice on husbands current situation with the military and his eventual discharge. He is not doing very well regarding his mental state and the military knows it as well as myself.
Anyways. He went to his c&p exam a couple weeks ago and I just got those results in the mail and need help understanding them.

Basically here is the summary.

Time lost from work in last 12 months: 6 weeks (should be more).
Problems related to occupational functioning: decreased concentration, poor social interaction

Axis I: obsessive compulsive disorder, depressive disorder
Axis II: none
Axis III: cluster headaches
Axis IV: marital problems, separation from service
Axis V: global assessment of functioning.
Score: 40 time frame: over past year

Comments: pt is severely impaired. GAF is 40 for the OCD and 50 for the depressive disorder. The OCD is the primary and the depression is secondary and due to the OCD and it's affect on his life and career.
It also states he has sleep impairment and severe anxiety and panic attacks when driving which he avoids and suicidal thoughts without plan or intent at this time. And it also states he doesn't go into stores amongst other things.

So basically I'm trying to figure out what our future situation is as far as disability because I look at my husband and it doesn't look good from that standpoint.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks [/html]

[left][/left]

Edited by jbasser

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

They should give him a medical discharge but probably won't. I feel VA will rate him at 50% but should rate him at 70% w/TDIU - 100%. A GAF of 50% or lower should be 100%. He could probably win TDIU or 100% but would need to survive on whatever the VA gives him for probably 3-5 yrs. jmo

pr

Thanks for the reply, the military doctors seem pretty certain he will be medically separated but for retirement or just plain discharge I don't know. He has served for ten years now and has no prior history of these mental illnesses before entering the military. It just seems like a pretty dark future considering he doesn't seem employable at the moment and we have 3 young children so not sure what will happen.

• HadIt.com Elder

He should be medically retired w/30% or more, which should bring Tricare for life and some money. Be careful of any type of buy out as you will have to repay it before getting any VA money. 100% from VA would pay $3082 a month tax free and would be P&T, thus paying college for wife and kids, plus ChampVA medical insurance for wife, plus children until finished college. He'd probably be eligible for SSDI, w/benefits for wife and children, also.

pr

Thanks for the reply, the military doctors seem pretty certain he will be medically separated but for retirement or just plain discharge I don't know. He has served for ten years now and has no prior history of these mental illnesses before entering the military. It just seems like a pretty dark future considering he doesn't seem employable at the moment and we have 3 young children so not sure what will happen.

• HadIt.com Elder

when did he re-enlist last and how long before his enlistment runs out? They might just bar him from re-enlistment and run the clock out on him, I suggest you talk to JAG and see what your options are if this is the route they decide to take it would seem after 10 years of service they would have some responsibility........but I have been out since 1991 active duty I have no idea what they are doing these days but I saw plenty of dirty tricks back in the 70s

good luck and keep asking questions it is your life and the kids as well as your husbands future you are dealing with there are no stupid questions at this point

Thanks for the responses. He still has 3 years and some months left on his contract. The exam doesn't state whether or not it was service connected, but it does state in one way or another that he started showing symptoms while in the military so I'm not sure if that is going to be an issue or not. If the military finds him unfit and he gets rated then that is my main concern. It's just so scary and I'm worried about our future.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks for the responses. He still has 3 years and some months left on his contract. The exam doesn't state whether or not it was service connected, but it does state in one way or another that he started showing symptoms while in the military so I'm not sure if that is going to be an issue or not. If the military finds him unfit and he gets rated then that is my main concern. It's just so scary and I'm worried about our future.

This is a normal response to an "I don't know if they will rate it as being SC" since he was inducted presuming a "sound body and mind" and he has already fulfilled 10 years of military service I can't see how they can NOT service connect the issue. What I am more concerned about if they just place a "bar to re-enlistment" and just run the clock out on him and then at the end of 13 years military service they toss him out the door, that is why I suggested a trip to JAG to see what if any rights he does have. Since his "mental health issue" is not PTSD which requires a mandatory of a minimum of 50% retired amount if the service member is found to be medically unfit, I ask this because a vet on another board who is Navy who has been diagnosed with PTSD is now being given the run around with the Navy saying he is fit for duty despite his PTSD diagnosis and who also has 10 years in , he wants the medical retirement and has submitted his resume everywhere and anywhere and has gone on job interviews all before he knows it the Navy is going to medically retire him. In his case he has been advised to stop trying to jump from the navy to a private company for the day after he leaves service, he does still have time on his enlistment also about 3 years he is caught between a "rock and a hard place" the rock being the Navy and the new job as the hard place