VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Facet Joint Syndrome

Rate this question

kelt

Question

I had a C&P Exam for myofacial pain syndrome, migraines, ulcerative colitis,& insomnia; all secondary to my sc ddd lumbar & cevical spine. The C&P Doctor diagnosed me with 1)Facet Joint Syndrome. 2)Cervicogenic Headache Syndrome with migrainous features. 3)Comorbid Insomnia. 4)Multilevel Disc Disease & Degenerative Arthritis of the Lumbar Spine-Service Connected. 5)Multilevel Degenerative Arthritis with foraminal narrowing of the Cervical Spine-Service Connected. The rationale he gave was: "Based on my clinical experince, a review of this veteran's STR's & C-file, as well as the available medical literature, it appears that this veteran suffered a significant & serious injury to his lumbar & cervical spine while on active duty in the US Air Force. It is likely that this injury contributed to, or directly caused" the aboved 1-5 mentioned diagnosis. My question is do you think this is a good exam for an increase/secondary claim. Also I can't find where Facet Joint Syndrome is listed as for diagnostic codes nor Comorbid Insomnia. In reference to the Ulcerative Colitis he said "Studies have shown people who suffer with IBD have a higher rate of Arthritis, including Arthritis of the spine, this may be complicating or adding to the veteran's symptoms". Any feed back on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have the same problem with constant spasms so bad my spine is straight with no curve. I had injections, rizotamy, this that and the other with no relief. Its hard to sit very long , stand or walk. Some times when I walk a nerve gets pinched and I cant take another step till it stops very painful. I am told I need a fusion l4,5,and s1. I am going to hold off on that but I am going ahead with a cervical revision at c 4,5. Facet pain can be very dibilitating.

Yes, very dibilitating. What would Facet Joint Syndrome be rated under?

• HadIt.com Elder

A fusion of your back joints is a big deal surgery. I think they harvest bone from your hip to help with the fusion. My doctor talked about it, but I said "NO".

Most doctors have stopped harvesting bone from the hip due to the long term pain some people have. I am one of those had it harvested for my first cervical fusion and will not go through that again. That was done in 2002 and it can get very painful to this day. Weather changes can be horrrible.

Why so worried about the diagnostic codes and higher rates? Are the ratings tables and benefits clouding your view? Are you worried you may not be getting what you are "entitled to"? Amazing how we, as Americans, many times just see the $ signs at the end of the tunnel... again. that guy did a stupendous job with the wording... let them rate it and see what happens, instead of already planning your appeal.

me1,

Where the heck are you coming from ?

All VBA claimants SHOULD BE concerned and AWARE of what DC's

they are rated under per their medical evidence.

Perhaps you need to remember that the VBA is to provide the highest rating possible.

Those "$ signs at the end of the tunnel" are after all provided to claimants for their

service related disability's - the money doesn't come from welfare.

A fusion of your back joints is a big deal surgery. I think they harvest bone from your hip to help with the fusion. My doctor talked about it, but I said "NO".

If it helps anyone I had the procedure in may 2010. i was amazed the civilian surgeon explained that in my case they used what was left of bones in my 3 disc and ground the insides into a pulp much like cement and added something to bind it together and of course hardware. I still have pain everyday yes it is stiff everyday allday but in the morning I am still using walker. I tried a nerve stimulator prior to my surgery. My back was to the point i had to do something. the VA might still be doing the harvest procedure but I had my surgery in civilian hospital. Good luck but get a 2nd and 3rd opinion before anyone touches your back. Just as side note do you fall a lot with your legs giving way from the nerve damage? I had that problem after the stimulator implant. I offer this as every one is different what worked for me might not be the best for you. Good luck...

I believe in July, 2003, the US Food and Drug Administration approved the use of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein, or rh BMP-2, for certain types of spine fusion surgery. It (BMP) is a genetically engineered version of a naturally occuring protein that helps to stimulate bone growth. You need no bone harvest from the hip, therefor you do not suffer the additional pain,etc., from hip bone graft incision. In this technique the surgeon removed the remnants of the damaged disc and insert two metal cages into the space between the vertebrae. The BMP (powder) is mixed with sterile water and then placed on a collagen sponge, which is inserted into the cages, where it helps to create new bone. The fusion occurs in around 6 months with BMP, where a bone graft fusion is near 12 months. **In Feb. 2004, I had my L5-S1 fused using the above mentioned "BMP". My problem is the radiculopathy (nerve damage) because I waited too long. My quality of life is a 100% better because of the surgery. However, I am still retired and seeking additional disability compensation. The surgery helped with a lot of the pain. Just don't wait too long and suffer permanent nerve damage like I did. Good luck.