VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vietnam Vets With Cml

Rate this question

TomLeo

Question

It is very important that Vets with CML (Chronic Myloid Leukemia aka Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia) share our status and information. This would be a logical site for that, if any of us can ever get to the approved stage where our posts show up timely, or show up at all. CML is a rare form of Leukemia, and not on the list of presumptive diseases for AO (yet). It is so rare that even a lot of the oncologists many of us see have never before treated a case of CML. Some CML patients drive 200 miles to see an oncologist who has some experience with CML. The biggest "norm" for P+ CML (Philadelphia gene positive -- it is a gene transport in the chromosome in the bone marrow) is MEN in their 50s and 60s. VA has been denying every case of CML starting in the 1990s (about the time the older Vietnam Vets who were boots on the ground would be turning 50-60). Most of those early claimants are now dead. The first effective treatment for CML started in 2002 (clinical trials the year before). Now we are into the 3rd Generation of targeting chemotherapy drugs. Still no cure, but we may be the first generation to die with CML rather than from CML.

All the VA denials and appeals denials have basically been due to a lack of medical testimony that CML is linked to AO. CML has been proven to have no hereditary link. So it must be caused by environmental factors, although there are some who put forth the thesis that it "just happens". There were two studies that showed a statistical link between Vietnam Veterans and CHILDREN with CML. In fact, I have been in contact with a sister AND brother with CML whose father was a Vietnam Vet. There have been numerous studies, including studies of identical twins proving NO hereditary link for CML -- yet the CHILDREN of Vietnam Vets seem to have a high incidence of CML. To me, this is all leading to the probability that AO exposure affected the chromosomes of the affected Veteran and was passed on to his children.

Further, there are to me a goodly number of Vietnam Vets I am running across on Leukemia forums that have CML. Think about it a moment, we have a hard time finding oncologists who have ever treated a CML patient, but we are not having a hard time finding each other. Does that make you think for a moment? What we must do is get together electronically to share information. The VA seems to be accepting a link for CML to benzene, and has approved at least one Gulf War vet with CML due to chemical exposure. Okay, lets carry out that thinking. AO, or TCDD, the primary component of AO, requires TWO benzene molecules to form. I am told by one of the Air Force guys on Ranch Hand that AO was mixed WITH benzene to keep the nozzles from clogging. And the potential for benzene exposure from all those diesel fuel cans burning human waste, the helicoptors and JP4, etc, etc. Point is, we must work extra hard because there are so (relatively) few of us. Rare disease, easier for VA to deny. But it is not as rare, in my opinion, among Vietnam Vets -- AND their children.

If this ever does get approved and posted, and you want to reply to this and you happen to be new to the site, please keep trying. I also have a BLOG on the CML forum site of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society website. I also have several discussions on the CML forum on that site. If this site is nothing more than an information site, it will help a lot. But lets try using the CML site until we have more of us in the "approved" status.

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

That is what I was thinking Tom. Since it is pretty rare as this is a numbers game. For example Diabetes or Heart disease would net you more responses.

Hopefully some folks will chime in.

Hang in there.

J

Edited by jbasser

That is what I was thinking Tom. Since it is pretty rare as this is a numbers game. For example Diabetes or Heart disease would net you more responses.

Boy, are you correct on THAT one! Type II Diabetes and IHD are the TOP two LIFESTYLE diseases among men IN THE WORLD. That the VA would add them to the list of presumed Agent Orange diseases clearly indicates votes are a major part of the VA in its actions.

I need to post here the VA description of the B cell disabilities as it might help someone out there.

Definition of Chronic B-Cell Leukemia

B-cell leukemia describes several different types of lymphoid leukemias and includes the following types:

• B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma

• Acute lymphoblastic leukemia, mature B-cell type

• B-cell prolymphocytic leukemia

• Precursor B lymphoblastic leukemia

• Hairy cell leukemia

There are fourteen kinds of lymphomas involving B-cells.

• Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma

• Follicular lymphoma

• Mucosa-associated lymphatic tissue lymphoma (MALT)

• Small cell lymphocytic lymphoma (overlaps with the chronic lymphocytic leukemia)

• Mantle cell lymphoma (MCL)

• Burkitt lymphoma

• Mediastinal large B-cell lymphoma

• WaldenstrÖm macroglobulinemia

• Nodal marginal zone B-cell lymphoma (NMZL)

• Splenic marginal zone lymphoma (SMZL)

• Extranodal marginal zone B-cell lymphoma

• Intravascular large B-cell lymphoma

• Primary effusion lymphoma

• Lymphomatoid granulomatosis

Source: Nehmer Training Letter from NVLSP pages 13,14, of 126

EXERPT FROM EMPEROR OF ALL MALADIES -- This exerpt will give ONE reason the number of Vietnam Vets with CML is increasing. "A final note: I said CML was a "rare" disease, and that was true in the / era before Gleevec. The incidence of CML remains unchanged from the past: only a few thousand patients are diagnosed with this form of leukemia every year. But the prevalence of CML--the number of patients presently alive with the disease--has dramatically changed with the introduction of Gleevec. As of 2009, CML patients treated with Gleevec survive an average of thirty years after their diagnosis. Based on that survival figure, Hagop Kantarjian [of MD Anderson] estimates that within the next decade, 250,000 people will be living with CML in America, all of them on targeted therapy. Druker's drug will alter the national physiognomy of cancer, converting a once rare disease into a relatively common one. (Druker jokes that he has achieved the perfect inversion of the goals of cancer medicine: his drug has increased the prevalence of cancer in the world.) Given that most of our social networks typically extend to about one thousand individuals, each of us, on average, will know one person with this leukemia who is being kept alive by a targeted anticancer drug."

What this means is that the earliest Vietnam Vets with CML -- When the VA began denying disability status -- in the 1990s, when the first of the Vietnam "boonie" vets started turning 50 -- and most of them died of the disease. Now we are alive, with a greatly reduced quality of life, and increasing in number. Same with the CHILDREN of Vietnam Vets who have developed CML.

"within the next decade, 250,000 people will be living with CML in America, all of them on targeted therapy. Druker's drug will alter the national physiognomy of cancer, converting a once rare disease into a relatively common one."