VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loan Discharge Question

Rate this question

gavinol

Question

Hii everyone..i am confues please help me..I have been discharged from the student loan. And I found out that I am marked at my credit report for having a debt unsecured with the government. What or must I do to remove it from my credit report? Please only helpful answers ! Thanks .

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

hi,

i hope this is where to ask these questions:

i am P&T, TDIU. that tells you i am compensated at 100%, right? i hope so. :-)

live in florida.

6 years before (back date) i was at a Florida university. both federal gov and FL state gov dept. of edu gave me loans.

Florida is trying to collect via collection agents.

i guess you can guess my next question! can Florida get at my VA disability check for FL Dept. of Education loans?

also, should i send them copy of letter saying i am P&T? i have Florida DV license on my car and on my DL.

HELP?! thank you.

They can't get your VA check but they can get or cancel / deny any future checks for

your government educational loans. I believe they may also be able to attach your

tax returns, but am not sure on this one.

JMHO

They can't get your VA check but they can get or cancel / deny any future checks for

your government educational loans. I believe they may also be able to attach your

tax returns, but am not sure on this one.

JMHO

Hi,

By cancel/deny you mean they an cancel current edu loans and deny future ones; and take any tax returns? I think that is what you said, just want to be sure.

There is an outstanding State Dept. of Education loan (FL), I am particularly concerned about that collection against my VA check. If anyone has any more info, I'd be grateful. I know that in Florida debtors can not access my check, but not sure when the debtor is the State on an education loan.

Thanks!

Edited by tedro

Just to add here....maybe this will help someone.....

My husband had a small student loan when he had a stroke.It was up to date so I don't know how it affects a credit report.

The Higher Ed people here in NY sent him a waiver to be signed by a doctor.

We got over to the local VAMC and his doctor ,after briefly reading the MRI results and a few other recent medical records, checked off that he was totally and permanently disabled due to the stroke.

The small loan balance was waived.

VA determined this had been a NSC stroke for almost 18 years. The C & P exam took mere minutes in a hallway and the Neuro who did the exam declared him 100% P& T right away. NSC 100%P & T.

In January however that all changed and the VA paid 100% retro under 1151 as an accrued benefit to me as the stroke was due to

proven VA malpractice and had never been properly rated.My CUE claim of 2004 was resolved in that decision)

My point... a student loan can be waived with the criteria Carlie posted and with a doctor's signature on the form.

And years later, as in my case, that Student Loan waiver form could become highly significant to any direct SC or 1151 compensation award regarding either TDIU or 100%

I am sure it was a factor in my husband's SSA award as well and also caused him to have to leave Voc Rehab---another factor for VA's 100% award 1151 CVA earlier this year.

If a veteran cannot continue VA Voc Rehab solely due to either direct SC or 1151 “as if” SC, then they are unemployable due to SC or 1151 SC factors.

Just to add, my husband was only 30% in his lifetime and when this waiver was processed. I succeeded in his 2 pending claims, after his death-one for the 1151 issues and the other for the 100% SC P & T PTSD.

Luckily we always saved everything to potentially have anything to do with the VA.

I recently used the signed Student Loan waiver form , 18 years old, which the VA doctor had copied and put into his VA records, as evidence to prove the VA committed a CUE (again) in their recent award to me,as they paid 100% for 6 months but they owed 100% for 22 months, based on established VA medical evidence in VA's possession at time of his death.

It pays to SAVE everything that could potentially be significant evidence for a claim,even many many years after the fact.

Edited by Berta

Remember, too, that you can consolidate your student loans based on income so it is no more than 15% of your adjusted gross income and after 25 years forgiven for the balance.