VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has This Happened To You At C&pexam?

Rate this question

sammy104

Question

My husband went in for his c&p for exam to upgrasde his sc disability. He is total dependatant , as he had massive stroke last year, and needs 24 hr care, has occasional tremmors also. I filled out the 5 page questionaire warning them of his current state of health, in addition to info specifically realated to is s c disability. He is in weelchair..and after I got him into room, they asked me to leave, and my husband will talk to the dr. I said he cant speak due to stroke. It did not matter. I guess they didnt read the formo I just gave them? I had to go to waiting room and he would be fine. I sais , no he wont he has occassional tremmors and cannot be sitting in room alone please. on and on this went till finally the dr who heard me from other room said he would go in tere rite now. The exam was over. I had no idea what they did. How was it a good exam if my husband cannot talk, and has limited mental capacity due to stroke??. He shakes his head yes to anything you ask him. How was it a correct exam if he was alone with dr and cannot speak?

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What is he service connected for? I see just 20%. If your husband is in a wheelchair and cannot speak from a stroke it is obvious he is 100% disabled, but the question would be for the doctor to determine if it is due to SC conditions. Does he have a private doctor who could submit records of treatment and prognosis?

He also would be eligible for SMC for aphonia as well if this can be service connected as secondary to what he has now-

Tammy- you can request a copy of the C & P exam from the VAMC where it occurred.

I could really relate to your post.

My husband had a major stroke and VA said he would never walk again.

We were unprepared here to accommodate a wheelchair in short notice but I didn't believe the docs on that- Long story- we had to DEMAND physical therapy and a few weeks later he was able to walk 3 steps without falling and they sent him home. He taught himself how to walk again.

He had C & P 8 months later.In a VAMC hallway.Luckily he had found a chair as he could not stand too long.

The neurologist asked me what was wrong with him and I said he had a major CVA.

She asked him to stand and walk towards her and then said to me-he doesn't propulse normally and then she asked him to stand on his toes (he almost fell)then stand on h's heels -he almost fell then too,and she suddenly said loud enough for everyone in the clinic to hear-

Mr. Simmons "I declare you totally and permanently disabled."

That was it.

"How was it a correct exam if he was alone with dr and cannot speak?"

CVAs are so profoundly disabling that the doctor might have declared him as 100% P & T like they did my husband.

But they fought for years and finally awarded his CVA as 1151(caused by VA health care itself)

Some months ago the BVA granted his CVA and other disabilities as directly due to AO,secondary to VA his malpracticed DMII.

It isnt the length of a CVA C & P exam that is important as they know a major CVA is totally disabling-

it is what the VA doc says in the C & P report- if you have claimed it as secondary to a SC condition.

It took 11 years for me to realize his Sec1151 1151 CVA was service connectable-actually my daughter made me file that claim

Then 7 years more for direct SC award.

Edited by Berta

And to add-if the CVA can be service connected best to ask them for Aid and Attendance too-

I recently filed for A & A accrued under Nehmer.

I used the exact regs and pulled out the parts of the regs that his medical evidence (or other evidence) made him eligible for. A vet does not have to meet every part of the A & A criteria and they do put a lot of weight on what the caretaker -spouse states for A & A claims.

In part of my statement I referred to other documented situations that were possibly not in his medical or day treatment records revealing need for A & A.

I also can get buddy statement from my neighbor -if needed-who had to confiscate his weapons and certainly from my daughter and others who

witnessed how his CVA made him unable to be alone and at times extremely violent.He was 100% for PTSD too(awarded after his death) and the PTSD , as the evidence shows, aggravated the residuals of his CVA.

The VA gave him 2 days of extensive testing to separate the CVA residuals from his PTSD.

It was hard for him to be in this testing for 2 days but when the re4sults were in, they could not use the CVA as reason why his PTSD escalated-in order to keep him at 30% for the PTSD.

His SSA records also reveal need for A & A.

Is your husband getting SSA disability benefits? Does VA know that?

Has formal application been made for TDIU yet?

I found your past post-

"My husband has had a 20% disability rating for his left arm and hand for over 10 years"

Was this involving a circulatory problem? or residuals from a gun shot wound?

Did he ever serve in Vietnam or Korea near the DMZ in the late 1960s?

What reason did they give you as to the etiology or cause of his stroke?

I found your past post-

"My husband has had a 20% disability rating for his left arm and hand for over 10 years"

I found your past post-

Husband had HUGE lacerated left forearm with tons of stitched ....huge operation in 1969...the week b4 going to vietnam..so he never got on foreign soil.

The reason for stroke was heart condition>>>>"A FIBB" ..he never knew he had this problem..this caused blood clot...causing massive stroke...ER records show it was so huge, most do not survive.

Berta...u mentioned to me weeks ago in a reply......of possible scenarios.your reply went something like this>>>?? .such as bad reconstructive surgery of arteries and viens in left arm from years ago...possibly now..years later contributed to his heart condition and bad blood flow causing "a fibb" condition....ultimately the reason/cause of his stroke.