VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C H A M P V A - One Of The Very Best Benefits!

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Just got through gathering up the Wife's receipts for the last three months to send in to CHAMPVA.

Total is $2,233.00 that was NOT covered by her employer-provided health insurance.

She has diabetes and some of her drugs are like $450 over and above her primary health insurance.

YUP, I am most pleased with CHAMPVA. There will be a check in the mailbox for this, probably before the first of the year.

Being 100% disabled is NOT FUN...........heck, if I was able to work my health insurance because of my work would take the place of the CHAMPVA, with HER work's health insurance being the "primary" payor.

So, I guess that we are not getting anything that I would not have if I were "employable"...............but, it still makes my heart feel good about the CHAMPVA benefits.

Thanks, VA!

Hi Berta and thanks for the response.  Wow! I have been gone way too long and may the Lord bless those we have lost.  Bet you can see a lot more clearly now with the cataract surgery.  I had the same surgery but didn't have cataracts.  I had prescription implants so I can see perfect and clearly both close up and distance.  They said I will never get cataracts because the implants are artificial and won't get them.  It was good hearing from you and seeing you are still in the fight for veterans benefits.

God Bless,

Rocky

On 2/7/2016 at 1:50 PM, jimmybeans said:

I am having a bit of trouble getting started with champva, My wife and I are both on tri-care and Medicare. My wife is hearing impaired and her hearing aids are not covered by either tri-care  or Medicare for replacement.

We moved back home in July 2015 From Ft. Bragg NC after quite a long  time away from Cal.

long story short, when I went to eligibility  to register at the Loma Linda VA they told me that my wife is eligible for CHAMPVA but  didn't tell me how to sign her up. Is there anyone who has any information that can give me a sit-rep on what to do, where I do it etc.

Thanks for the assist

jimmybeans

you cannot be on Tricare and Champus VA at the same time...

• HadIt.com Elder

Because CHAMPVA is for life and because once you get it set up it works and does not have a formulary I consider it to be the best benefit I get from the VA.

If the VA would offer me ChampVA I would opt out of VA but it will never happen.

I had a lot of frustration at first but a well kept VA secret is hidden in the bowel's of every VAMC is an office with someone who can help you make it work.

I concur that CHAMPVA is GREAT!

I have the doctor and hospital of my choice and have never had a problem with CHAMPVA re: any medical bills.

I don't understand why veteran's don't have the same benefits as their dependents under CHAMPVA.

I need to get some med bills together myself.I only take one prescribed med and pay 4.42 for it under CHAMPVA.

The CHAMPVA man ,as SVR quest here, told me to send my payment record to CHAMPVA and they will refund the 4.42 per month except for the minimal annual co pay.

I saw my pharmacy man yesterday and he said they can easily do payment sheet for me for the years I would need as I always pay for these meds every month in cash and saved few receipts.

• HadIt.com Elder

I second the CHAMPVA kudos.

These folks pay like clockwork and they are as helpful as they can be.

We have had them on SVR twice and they mean business when ot comes to helping vets with Insurance and the Foreign medical program.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

ChampVA coordinates well with other insurance and with medicare. I think they are always the secondary payer if you have other insurance. I have BC/BS that covers my wife and ChampVA picks up the rest.