VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does A Statement Of The Case Mean Bad News Is Coming?

Rate this question

Sergeant G

Question

Does a Statement of the Case mean bad news? I called the toll-free number today and they said my appeal for IU is in the “notification stage.” The VSR told me that an SOC is issued for both grants and denials. I thought SOCs were only issued for denials. The DRO said she was going to award IU, but we disagreed on the effective date. I’ve been screwed by the regional office multiple times during the course of my original claim, which began in December 2007. Now I’m worried that the DRO changed her mind about awarding IU. Thanks for the input!

Sergeant G

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 12/20/2010 at 9:16 PM, broncovet said:

No, I wouldnt say a SOC is particulary good news. It means that your appeal "cant be granted", that is, you have been denied on at least part of it. It does mean your claim "is moving" which is where I wish mine was, but it instead seems to be stuck in la la land.

la la land VA is one of the worst right behind houston

Bronc's on the money, SOC and SSOC's never address Award Issues, only continued Denials. If you have a couple Denial Issues that were listed on the original DRO Appeal and remain Denied by the DRO and are still eligible for the BVA, regardless of a DRO IU Award, the SOC must be completed by the DRO.

I do disagree that a couple NOD Issues continuing to be Denied and requiring the completion of a SOC by the DRO, would slow the DRO IU decided Award.

Just be sure your Direct Deposit Bank/CU is set to notify your Real-time via txt and Email regarding all financial transactions. The IU Retro Direct Deposit should hit WEEEEELL in advance of the actual Award Letter.

• HadIt.com Elder

Unfortunately it is bad news 99% of the time.

This maybe a little ling read but it explains the soc and the ssoc

The file is reviewed and decisions are rendered.  If all of the issues within an NOD can be granted in full, a rating is prepared to grant the issues.  Otherwise, we must issue a Statement of the Case (SOC) to the Veteran, which provides the applicable VA regulations and explains the reasons for the decision(s).

Once an SOC is issued, the DRO process is complete.  If the appeal continues, it is now under the Traditional appeals process.  DRO authority does not extend beyond the issuance of the SOC.

In order for a Veteran to continue the appeal, the VA must receive a Substantive (Formal) appeal, which is a VA Form 9, Appeal to Board of Veterans’ Appeals, or an equivalent statement of intent to continue the appeal.  There is no legal requirement that a specific VA Form must be received in order to continue an appeal, but VA must receive some form of communication in writing from the Veteran or his Representative indicating an intent to continue the appeal.

A Veteran has EITHER the remainder of one year from the initial decision notification letter, OR 60 days from the date the SOC was mailed, to file his Substantive appeal.  Otherwise, his appeal rights for those issues expire, and the NOD is closed.

If the Veteran has filed a timely Substantive appeal, the next step in the appeals process is to certify the appeal to the Board of Veterans’ Appeals (BVA), which is to transfer jurisdiction of the appeal to BVA.

However, the Regional Office cannot physically send the claims file to BVA until all pending NODs and all pending claims have been decided.  There can be no appeal issues pending before the Regional Office at the time the claims file is sent to BVA; otherwise, BVA will issue a Remand instructing the Regional Office to issue an SOC on any pending appeals.

Additionally, if the veteran has requested a BVA travel board hearing or BVA Video conference hearing, the claims file remains physically at the Regional Office until the BVA hearing can be scheduled

• HadIt.com Elder
23 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

All it means is that a decision has been made. Thats it. Whether its an approval or denial you get an SOC. 

Not True

The file is reviewed and decisions are rendered.  If all of the issues within an NOD can be granted in full, a rating is prepared to grant the issues.  Otherwise, we must issue a Statement of the Case (SOC) to the Veteran, which provides the applicable VA regulations and explains the reasons for the decision(s).