VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Misdiagnosis From 1969

Rate this question

saddletramp

Question

My MOS was 11E in country Vietnam with the 1st Field Forces. Our AO was Mostly south of Nah Trang, Whisky Mountain, Mang Yang Pass. Mine sweeps, ECT.. I was Dusted off for heat stroke, as my platoon was getting me and some other casualties extracted they chopped out an LZ and when the Med Chopper was coming in I was struck with a small tree in the neck and head, Knocked unconcious, I woke up on the med slick and we were taking fire. Made it to 35 evac ( I am pretty sure) a few days later sent back to the field. A few weeks later while out on patrol I was sent into the firebase for Psychiatric evalution, the sent me up to Cam Ron and on to Japan, in restraints. I spent a couple of weeks at the 249th in Camp Drake, and got to back to my unit via ton son nut, and camp Alpha. I Was back for a few weeks and experienced some stuff and they sent me back to the shrinks and the to a stateside Hospital again in restraints strapped to a litter. I don't remember much, the had me on Thorazine and pretty much knocked out. The Stateside shrinks Diagnosed me with schizoid disorder and a personalty disorder.My exwife sent a letter for my C&P and explained what I was like when I got back, no night sleep , only daysleep, had to wake me up with a broom handle violent outbursts. I was sent this year for a C&P and the psychiatrist changed my diagnosis to PTSD fro 1969. I have AFIB and sleep apnea ECT>>> I was homeless back in the 80's and had a couple of marriages, the whole routine. My question is do I have a retroactive claim for PTSD since 69. I just always thought something was wrong with me.

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think the only way to get the retro back to 1969 is to file a CUE claim. I think if you decide to do that you should get a lawyer. Did you file a claim with the VA when you were discharged? If you did not file a claim you are probably screwed. I think I would take all my medical and personnel records to a lawyer and see what can be done. You probably had TBI and PTSD. The army in those days would find any excuse to get rid of emotionally ill vets via the PD route. It happened to me. The army screwed you and if the VA upheld the Army's DX and refused to service connect you then they also screwed you. The time factor is the problem. You are a poster child for what is wrong with military and VA compensation. We need lots more details about when you first applied for compensation with the VA. Was you discharge ever upgraded to honorable? You might even want to try and challange your discharge since it should have been a medical. This is a difficult process since 40 years have gone by. I have been there also. I could be wrong about the CUE claim, so others will chime in on this.

I got an Honorable discharge in dec. 1970, I saw a shrink before I got out. What is TBI? MY medical records are spotty at best, but my psychiatric profiles were there and my hospitalization dates. I have put in 7 different claims and got turned down on 4 so far but they gave me PTSD. Hearing and tinnitus right broken hand, and I had 2 prostate infections in country and hospitalized for one. I am waiting on Ischemic Heart, but I only have arrythmias, I was wearing a holter monitor from the VA, and went into Afib. My sleep Apnea claim is also being reviewed. I put in a DRO review on the 1st four claims they rejected.in 68 , I was in a fire in FT Knox in a tent like a large tent while we were sleeeping out in the field , and had smoke inhalation, but I don't think that has anything to do with much. After I got back from Nam, My 6 month old son Died, and I think the military kind of mishandled that, they wanted me transport his body in my POV, and take hime from Ft Knox up to central wisconsin to bury him, to save them some money. But I got an Honorable discharge.

• HadIt.com Elder

Saddletramp

Were you evaluated for TBI? When you got hit on the head that might have been TBI. I think what you have told us is that you had all sorts of problems due to combat experience. The VA will not grant 30% back to your discharge on their own without some work based on what Berta has said. Are you asking via appeal for an earlier effective date for your PTSD? Are you being treated for PTSD or TBI at the VA now? Do you have any problems from the blow to your head now?

My question is do I have a retroactive claim for PTSD since 69. I just always thought something was wrong with me.

saddletramp,

The answer to the above question is NO.

Also, VA won't grant an effective date earlier than an claim being filed

except for one instance that I am aware of and that instance does not

relate to your situation.

I got an Honorable discharge in dec. 1970, I saw a shrink before I got out. What is TBI? MY medical records are spotty at best, but my psychiatric profiles were there and my hospitalization dates. I have put in 7 different claims and got turned down on 4 so far but they gave me PTSD. Hearing and tinnitus right broken hand, and I had 2 prostate infections in country and hospitalized for one. I am waiting on Ischemic Heart, but I only have arrythmias, I was wearing a holter monitor from the VA, and went into Afib. My sleep Apnea claim is also being reviewed. I put in a DRO review on the 1st four claims they rejected.in 68 , I was in a fire in FT Knox in a tent like a large tent while we were sleeeping out in the field , and had smoke inhalation, but I don't think that has anything to do with much. After I got back from Nam, My 6 month old son Died, and I think the military kind of mishandled that, they wanted me transport his body in my POV, and take hime from Ft Knox up to central wisconsin to bury him, to save them some money. But I got an Honorable discharge.

Yeah, too bad you had to wait this long to file, but that is the way it is. I waited for 20 years before trying myself and it is still not over for me. My day is coming up soon I think.

Good luck to you!

Edited by NSA-Saigon-ET

Saddletramp

Were you evaluated for TBI? When you got hit on the head that might have been TBI. I think what you have told us is that you had all sorts of problems due to combat experience. The VA will not grant 30% back to your discharge on their own without some work based on what Berta has said. Are you asking via appeal for an earlier effective date for your PTSD? Are you being treated for PTSD or TBI at the VA now? Do you have any problems from the blow to your head now?

I have never been seen for TBI, I felt alright after a few days, so I don't think I have a brain injury. I am being treated for PTSD by the VA. I just had heard they would go back and look. I feel fortunate to get what I am. I guess I could have someone check out if I had a brain injury, if it would show up after all of these years. My VA social worker has all of my psychiatric medical records, he can't figure out how I didn't get a 212 discharge.

here is my letter from my ex wife: When my ex-husband got back from Viet Nam, he was impossible to be near when trying to wake him. Just touching him when he was asleep was risky. He would not wake up but rather lash out trying to hit me or on a couple of occasions choke me before he became fully awake. He seemed to have no immediate recollection of these episodes. At times I was frightened to be in bed with him. I found that poking him with a broom was the safest way to wake him up because it kept me far enough away to run when he started swinging. He also became prone to sleep walking, nightmares,yelling or talking in his sleep, and would stop breathing in his sleep. I was a very light sleeper and would hold my breath afraid to move when he was having these episodes. He also started wetting the bed (years later we found out that this was a symptom of high blood sugar). He sewed our curtains shut so I wouldn't let light in. He complained about numbness and tingling in his hands, feet, and legs. He took over the counter pain medications because he said his joints ached. He just walked off one day and never returned, in 1981.

Thanks for the concern

I have never been seen for TBI, I felt alright after a few days, so I don't think I have a brain injury. I am being treated for PTSD by the VA. I just had heard they would go back and look. I feel fortunate to get what I am. I guess I could have someone check out if I had a brain injury, if it would show up after all of these years. My VA social worker has all of my psychiatric medical records, he can't figure out how I didn't get a 212 discharge.

here is my letter from my ex wife: When my ex-husband got back from Viet Nam, he was impossible to be near when trying to wake him. Just touching him when he was asleep was risky. He would not wake up but rather lash out trying to hit me or on a couple of occasions choke me before he became fully awake. He seemed to have no immediate recollection of these episodes. At times I was frightened to be in bed with him. I found that poking him with a broom was the safest way to wake him up because it kept me far enough away to run when he started swinging. He also became prone to sleep walking, nightmares,yelling or talking in his sleep, and would stop breathing in his sleep. I was a very light sleeper and would hold my breath afraid to move when he was having these episodes. He also started wetting the bed (years later we found out that this was a symptom of high blood sugar). He sewed our curtains shut so I wouldn't let light in. He complained about numbness and tingling in his hands, feet, and legs. He took over the counter pain medications because he said his joints ached. He just walked off one day and never returned, in 1981.

Thanks for the concern

I just looked up a 212 discharge and I didn't desert? he must have meant something else? As a matter of fact I didn't want to go!