VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Family Therapy?

Rate this question

usmc0105

Question

I read the VA offers family therapy. My PTSD therapist said we can only discuss the war and my ptsd issues. How do I access Family therapy so we can work on some of the issues my scd's have caused at home with my family? I see a private PTSD spec therapist because VA determined they "lacked the resources to handle my level of treatment at their facilities". Not to mentioned the closest med center is 1 hr. away and the VA clinic locally doesnt offer mental healthcare.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I read the VA offers family therapy. My PTSD therapist said we can only discuss the war and my ptsd issues. How do I access Family therapy so we can work on some of the issues my scd's have caused at home with my family? I see a private PTSD spec therapist because VA determined they "lacked the resources to handle my level of treatment at their facilities". Not to mentioned the closest med center is 1 hr. away and the VA clinic locally doesnt offer mental healthcare.

usnc,

Check for a Vet Center located nearest you.

They MIGHT offer family therapy for you.

http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/vetcenter_flsh.asp

usnc,

Check for a Vet Center located nearest you.

They MIGHT offer family therapy for you.

http://www2.va.gov/d...center_flsh.asp

The closest is Lawrenceville, I didnt quite get along witht he therapist there so they kicked me back to ATL with the statement previously provided. ATL refered me to Pvt. So I need to start with them again at Lville? Thats going to be interesting. TY

Are you formally diagnosed with service connected PTSD yet?

VA gave us some family therapy over a decade ago.

Unfortunately it often does not work well with PTSD families if the vet has control issues.(which can be due to the PTSD)

I worked at a vet center years ago and families were encouraged to attend some of the sessions we had (some but sure not all) and I only recall one spouse of a veteran ever showing up.

Also our local VAMC here in Bath NY had an independent PTSD spouse group.The woman who started it (wife of PTSD vet)had MSW degree and the VA graciously donated their community room. We would meet during the same time the PTSD Vets group would meet.

VA tried to wiggle in and control some of the meetings but the group kicked them out.

In my opinion families need therapy to deal with PTSD that is done separate from the veteran's therapy and not together. I am a PTSD wife and the problems that spouses have can be overwhelming.

It is no one's fault- it is just how PTSD can affect everyone around the vet. It becomes almost contagious.

Are you formally diagnosed with service connected PTSD yet?

VA gave us some family therapy over a decade ago.

Unfortunately it often does not work well with PTSD families if the vet has control issues.(which can be due to the PTSD)

I worked at a vet center years ago and families were encouraged to attend some of the sessions we had (some but sure not all) and I only recall one spouse of a veteran ever showing up.

Also our local VAMC here in Bath NY had an independent PTSD spouse group.The woman who started it (wife of PTSD vet)had MSW degree and the VA graciously donated their community room. We would meet during the same time the PTSD Vets group would meet.

VA tried to wiggle in and control some of the meetings but the group kicked them out.

In my opinion families need therapy to deal with PTSD that is done separate from the veteran's therapy and not together. I am a PTSD wife and the problems that spouses have can be overwhelming.

It is no one's fault- it is just how PTSD can affect everyone around the vet. It becomes almost contagious.

Havent recieved the official letter yet but yes 70% PTSD. I dont do group. No offense I just cant handle that. My sig other/ live in fiancee did come to one session (VA gave me a pvt QTC therapist I see every 2 weeks) and it wasnt very productive. She isnt too keen on my therapist who she feels is a little too placative to my sometimes dominant nature. I didnt know if I qualified for even a discount or something for a family therapist not just the ptsd.