VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will The Va Pay Private Insurance Copays

Rate this question

betrayed

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

If your conditions are service connected the VA will see that you get medical care either at a VA facility or one of their contract servicers. Don't think they will make your tricare copays.

Sounds like you aren't near a VA. What copays are you talking about? meds. doc or both? I too am on tricare prime. I get my meds at the VA. Only $12 a visit at the docs office. If you are opting for POS with tricare then it can get pricey.

• HadIt.com Elder

This topic was brought up a while back and I am sure the concensus was that the VA will not pay the co-pays for private insurance. You either need to be on Fee Base or you need to use the VA to get your medical stuff paid for. If the VA would pay copays who would use the VA except those with no insurance. The VA wants to bill private insurance companies. They bill my BC/BS and I am TDIU P&T. They also copy my medicare card every time I use the VA. This pisses me off because they are supposed to be taking care of me.

Guest DON20906

VA will not pay private charges for any treatment, SC or not, except in rare cases when it's not available from VA and it's authorized in advance and in some emergencies. Lots of vets get stuck holding the bag for non-VA tx of SC conditions because they assume VA will pick up the tab. I did a lot of unreimbursed medical expense appeals. Very low allowance rates.

If your are SC for a condition and BC/BS knows about it, I'm surprised they don't make you go to VA for it.

VA is required to bill third party insurance but their collection rates suck.

VA is prohibited by law from billing Medicare for treatment. The reason they take your card is so they can keep book on what it's costing them to provide the services.

This topic was brought up a while back and I am sure the concensus was that the VA will not pay the co-pays for private insurance. You either need to be on Fee Base or you need to use the VA to get your medical stuff paid for. If the VA would pay copays who would use the VA except those with no insurance. The VA wants to bill private insurance companies. They bill my BC/BS and I am TDIU P&T. They also copy my medicare card every time I use the VA. This pisses me off because they are supposed to be taking care of me.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, and now every time I go to the VAMC they ask for my BC/BS and Medicare card. I resent that. They have that information already. My civilian doctor does not ask for the cards over and over again. There goes my paranoid and mistrustful personality regarding government institutions.