VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security, Va Disability

Rate this question

Dano50

Question

I have a few questions here, I was recently approved for Social Security disability and have been requesting and increase of my disability. Can the VA come back and say since you are getting Social Security there is no need to increase your disabilitiy rating . Presently I am 50percent but had to quit my job in September due my disability. Just like info on how the SS plays in the VA roles? I am also collecting unemployment as with SSD they say if you get hired you may have to quit

SSD. My questions are as follows:

1.Since I am requesting my VA to increase the ratings froom 50 to whatever could they come back and say since you get SS we don't need to give you any more money as you are getting it from SS?

2.The SS determined my disability from the VA records. Will this help me in my request to increase my disability?

Thanks.

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

They will not do that. If you filed a claim for increase they will give you a C and P exam to determine their opinion on your severity of the disability.

You should go ahead and complete the TDIU forms and turn them in. http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-8940-ARE.pdf

Follow the link I provided.

In a perfect world the VA should take SSAA'a word and give it to you. ( There was an equivalency bill in Congress to do just that but it is lost in committee)

Hope this helps.

JBasser

Thanks for the input. I just recently sent them the I U form you mentioned. I understand this to at least give them a starting point in case my rating is denied. My VSO stated it is very rare they get those approved.

The VSO state my local VA will hear my case in April of next year. So until them I've asked the VA what is it they are actually lacking to decide my case. Until then I will wait.

They will not do that. If you filed a claim for increase they will give you a C and P exam to determine their opinion on your severity of the disability.

You should go ahead and complete the TDIU forms and turn them in. http://www.vba.va.go...21-8940-ARE.pdf

Follow the link I provided.

In a perfect world the VA should take SSAA'a word and give it to you. ( There was an equivalency bill in Congress to do just that but it is lost in committee)

Hope this helps.

JBasser

1.Since I am requesting my VA to increase the ratings froom 50 to whatever could they come back and say since you get SS we don't need to give you any more money as you are getting it from SS?

2.The SS determined my disability from the VA records. Will this help me in my request to increase my disability?

Thanks.

1. NO

2. Keep in mind that SSA considers all disabling conditions

and VBA only considers disability's that are service related.

"My VSO stated it is very rare they get those approved. "

A TDIU claim?

I quess HE doesn't get many approvals.

If you get SSA solely for service connected cpnditins, the VA should award yu TDIU.

Make sure you check Yes to # 18 and then under # 25 Remarks , refer them to separate page with your C file #,name and address on it and tell them of the SSA award, if Voc rehab ever turned you down solely due to your SCs, and tell them of side affects of any SC meds you take that would hinder employability.

"The SS determined my disability from the VA records"

SSA determined that in my husbands case too-

initial SSA was for CVA but we filed Reconsideration and the next award with better SSA EED was solely for PTSD.

It took 3 months for the SSA PTSD award and 6 years for the VA to acknowledge the SSA findings.

Make sure the VA gets the SSA records.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. If you can use your medical evidence used to obtain Social Security you should have proof needed to get a rating of 100% in some form or another.

Simply put does any service connected condition prevent you from being able to work.

Good Luck

I have a few questions here, I was recently approved for Social Security disability and have been requesting and increase of my disability. Can the VA come back and say since you are getting Social Security there is no need to increase your disabilitiy rating . Presently I am 50percent but had to quit my job in September due my disability. Just like info on how the SS plays in the VA roles? I am also collecting unemployment as with SSD they say if you get hired you may have to quit

SSD. My questions are as follows:

Thanks.

I don't think you can collect unemployment benefits when the SS kicks in. This is a No No because on your application you state you will actively look for and accept employment if offered. If you are on SS I think you can't do that.

others have answered your other concerns.