VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reopening Agent Orange Claim Due To Prostate Cancer

Rate this question

jstone1950

Question

I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer (Dec 10) after 4 biopsies beginning approximately 5 yrs ago. I'm also service-connected at 0% for residuals of hepititus and alpecia areaota. I served in Vietnam 69 - 70. I also applied for other disabilities including PTSD approximately in 1994 and was denied. I was compensated by the chemical company that sprayed ao during that time and applied to VA for residuals of ao such and was denied. I would like to know with this diagnosis if it can be used to reopen the initial claim. Thanks for your help in advance.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You can open the AO Prostate cancer claim but you will only get compensation from the time it was diagnosed. I think you get a higher rating while being treated for the prostate cancer and then it drops to residual rating when it is cured. Do you have DX of PTSD from VA doctor? Why were you denied for PTSD back in the day? Was it a stressor verification problem?

"I was compensated by the chemical company that sprayed ao during that time and applied to VA for residuals of ao such and was denied."

My husband and I were in that lawsuit and conpensated from the AO Settlement fund.

As I recall the only criteria was Vietnam incountry service and total disability.

What was your total disability at time of the lawsuit fund compensation?

I also applied for PTSD and denied due to they say stressor related issues. I was diagnosed for PTSD by va. Can the agent orange be used to reopen the whole claim as new and material evidence

File for the prostate cancer. You will be 100% during treatment. After maximum improvement is reached, VA will rate you for any residuals such as impotentcy, incontinence etc.

Not sure what you are asking or trying to get at but on The prostate claim if have it now you can claim it and it will be SC the date you file. Now if you can proof you had PC back when you first filed yes it would go back to the date of the old claim BUT you have to proof without a doubt that you had it then.

AO is not a claim of its own you don't claim AO you claim a medical condition you have that was caused by exposure to AO. I hope that is what you were asking.

As far as your old claims if you can proof you had a condition way back when the VA denied you then by all means file to reopen the claim but you have to proof it.

Claim your PC now and get that taken care of. Good Luck to you!