VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

tom91

Question

There appears to be an error made in my records but would appreciate input on this.

I filed a claim for PTSD initially in April 2009. It was denied by VA effective November 2009 due to lack of stressors. Following discussions back in Oct/Nov leading up to my 1 year appeal period, my VFW rep at the TN Veterans Affairs Office recommended that we file a 'reconsideration'. That was done early in November 2010 prior to my 1 year appeal period. Once the appeal period was within days, we subsequently filed an appeal. I had a C&P exam last week and the file is at the board for review.

Here lies the discrepancy.....I inquired at the time of my exam and today via the 1-800 line the effective date of claim, I was informed it was November 15, 2010! The 1-800 folks informed me that it was a 'reopen' file vs. a reconsideration and that you cannot have both a reopen and appeal...? ; however, they went on to inform me that the appeal was on file.

I don't understand but it should go back to my initial filing date of April 2009. Any advice?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

If you are a Vietnam vet and need stressors get ahold of me I have some good reliable information especially if you are Air Force, Army, USMC. email: bobbyq-ree66@msn.com

You can't put much credence into anything the 800# says.

From what I see here your EED for retro should be April 2009.

An 800 operator argued with me a few years ago and said I didn't have a valid claim pending(which VA had by then 3-4 years to tell me that but didn't)

That claim was resolved to my satisfaction this year.

I sent a formal complaint to VA Central about her.

the 800 # is wrong 60 to 80 % of the time.:angry:

There appears to be an error made in my records but would appreciate input on this.

I filed a claim for PTSD initially in April 2009. It was denied by VA effective November 2009 due to lack of stressors. Following discussions back in Oct/Nov leading up to my 1 year appeal period, my VFW rep at the TN Veterans Affairs Office recommended that we file a 'reconsideration'. That was done early in November 2010 prior to my 1 year appeal period. Once the appeal period was within days, we subsequently filed an appeal. I had a C&P exam last week and the file is at the board for review.

Here lies the discrepancy.....I inquired at the time of my exam and today via the 1-800 line the effective date of claim, I was informed it was November 15, 2010! The 1-800 folks informed me that it was a 'reopen' file vs. a reconsideration and that you cannot have both a reopen and appeal...? ; however, they went on to inform me that the appeal was on file.

I don't understand but it should go back to my initial filing date of April 2009. Any advice?

• HadIt.com Elder

Sometimes if you send in new evidence the VA will try and base your effective date on the date they got new evidence. Even more outrageous is when they try and make you effective date the date of your C&P exam. The VA really tries to cheat many a vet on the effective dates.