VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Some Help On A Possible Help To My Copd

Rate this question

ironfaux

Question

Hi

i'm working on a reopened claim for congestive heart failure and copd from the neymer becision and was thinking about my basic training in mar of 1969 when we had to lay in the water to fire our weapons at the range.

anyway i caught pneumonia and was admitted to the hospital for a week and on oxygen while there, i do remember being sick as a dog . my question is would that sickness have damaged my lungs to the extent that all my lung problems in later life and the copd be a beginning cause of it all ?

and how would i get the old records from fort gordon ga. from april or may 69

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Hi

i'm working on a reopened claim for congestive heart failure and copd from the neymer becision and was thinking about my basic training in mar of 1969 when we had to lay in the water to fire our weapons at the range.

anyway i caught pneumonia and was admitted to the hospital for a week and on oxygen while there, i do remember being sick as a dog . my question is would that sickness have damaged my lungs to the extent that all my lung problems in later life and the copd be a beginning cause of it all ?

It is not likely your pneumonia has any connection to COPD, and it's even less likely related to CHF. Your issues most likely stem from smoking as it is the most common cause of COPD and related to heart disease. You could speak to a pulmonologist regarding this issue and get their expert opinion.

JMO,

Bergie

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually the Army got busted for using Agent Orange at Fort Gordon.

James Cripps was the one who sprayed it and he is the first Conus AO vet.

Read here:http://www.newschannel5.com/story/7923469/veteran-bears-scars-of-stateside-agent-orange?redirected=true

He is a Hadit member and you should speak to him on this issue.

If you have CHF, do you have IHD or Coronary Artery disease?

John

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi

I have read many times on Hadit. "A journey of a thousand miles, starts with that first step", 'ironfaux'...

If you could find a DR. to review your military medical records, etc.., and write an IMO stating that your disability was caused by your military service. That would be a big help.

With the limited info you have posted, I wish you good luck.

Best regards,

Cmdr. Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you a smoker? I think with COPD that could be an issue. If not your pretty far away from 1969. Where was your basic training?

I don't know seems like it would be a long shot because pneumonia is not a cause of COPD. COPD is caused by smoking or Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency . As far as I know there is no other way to get it. ( and I know alot about it since I've had it since I was 33). As far as I know even AO exposure does not cause it, at least they have not found any evidence as of yet... Although I have always said that is what caused mine, I have no proof of it.