VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War Medical Shots.

Rate this question

Gulfvet

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

I don't know, I do know before desert storm in 1990 started we had a cattle call to one of the hangers and the lined us up and gave us all at least 2 - 4 different shots, but I never have found out what they were.

We were given that too (USMC). I was the "golfball in the buttcheek" shot. We got so many shots and pills before we went into Kuwait that I don't think anybody knows who got what and when. We had a grunt on my vehicle refuse to take the pills (either anthrax or nerve agent) a week or 2 before we went in and he was made to dig "garbage pits" until he relented and signed, consent form and took the pills.

I hate to whine, but I think we GW1 vets are in the "Korea" category. The Vietnam vets outnumbered us in the years following the war and VA scambled to make up for writing them off in the 70's-80's and by the time we really started going to VA the OIF/OEF vets outnumbered us or were getting the most attention as they were just coming home. (Like the Korea vets did with WW2 vets).

This January it will be 20 years since we went to war with Iraq and people forget that the war never really ended as we had troops in the Kurdish areas, active aerial combat in the 2 No Fly zones and troops on alert in Kuwait from the day hostilities supposedly ended in 1991 until our troops crossed into Iraq in 2003. The Southwest Asia Service Medal is still issued to this day. I think that our best hope is that the list of presumptives will grow longer and that it will happen sooner than later.

The pills was the pre-treatment for the nerve gas. they had real bad side effects. stots given to most before going was no different then what we in AD get from time to time for prep of deployment to a given part of the world. In the sand-box many was given the anthrax shot the first to the forward units then the 1ID and 3AD combat units was given one other B-Toxin.

We were given that too (USMC). I was the "golfball in the buttcheek" shot. We got so many shots and pills before we went into Kuwait that I don't think anybody knows who got what and when. We had a grunt on my vehicle refuse to take the pills (either anthrax or nerve agent) a week or 2 before we went in and he was made to dig "garbage pits" until he relented and signed, consent form and took the pills.

I hate to whine, but I think we GW1 vets are in the "Korea" category. The Vietnam vets outnumbered us in the years following the war and VA scambled to make up for writing them off in the 70's-80's and by the time we really started going to VA the OIF/OEF vets outnumbered us or were getting the most attention as they were just coming home. (Like the Korea vets did with WW2 vets).

This January it will be 20 years since we went to war with Iraq and people forget that the war never really ended as we had troops in the Kurdish areas, active aerial combat in the 2 No Fly zones and troops on alert in Kuwait from the day hostilities supposedly ended in 1991 until our troops crossed into Iraq in 2003. The Southwest Asia Service Medal is still issued to this day. I think that our best hope is that the list of presumptives will grow longer and that it will happen sooner than later.

I think the shots have a lot to do with the GWS. I recieved most of the shots people that went to the Gulf got, but I did not go, but it is amazing that I have a lot of the same problems. It would be wonderful if someone would prove it was the shots.