Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Intervertebral Disc Syndrome - Incapacitating Episodes

TravHill
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

Would like to say "Thanks for a wonderful site". I cannot believe how much information is available on this forum. I look forward to reading...and reading....and reading!

Now to my question.....

I am currently rated at 20% due to Intervertebral Disc Syndrome. I have had issues since my discharge in 99 from the Navy. Over the last 8 months, I have had significant issues and have requested a rerating (My C&P is scheduled for the 10th of January . Since May, I have had incapacitating episodes (under a DR's care and orders) for approx 9 weeks and believe that I should be at 60% based upon the VA manuals. This is not taking into account Sciatica, or neuropathy caused by the Interbertebral Disc Syndrome.

I went and met with a DAV Rep, and she told me...noway, no-how would the VA rate me at 60%. Most that I would get is 30% and that is only based upon limitations of my Range of Motion (and I had to basically had my entire spine fused together to get that). I asked her specifically on the incapacitating episodes rating and again she said that the best I could hope for would be a temp rating during that time period only. Basically that I MAY get the 60%, but it would only be for the 9 weeks that I was prescribed Bed-Rest and then it would go back down to my original 20%. I have re-read this section of the VA Rating Manual and it seems cut and dry, it doesn't mention temp ratings during the incapacitating periods, but states:

Formula for Rating Intervertebral Disc Syndrome Based on Incapacitating Episodes

With incapacitating episodes having a total duration of at least 6 weeks during the past 12 months ....... 60%

With incapacitating episodes having a total duration of at least 4 weeks but less than 6 weeks during the past 12 months ............40%

With incapacitating episodes having a total duration of at least 2 weeks but less than 4 weeks during the past 12 months .............20%

If intervertebral disc syndrome is present in more than one spinal segment, provided that the effects in each spinal segment are clearly distinct, evaluate each segment on the basis of incapacitating episodes or under the General Rating Formula for Diseases and Injuries of the Spine, whichever method results in a higher evaluation for that segment.

.......SO, Did I just get a bad/mis-informed DAV Rep, or is she correct? Any input or experience in this provision would be greatly appreciated.

Travis

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that your rep may be misinformed. I am rated 40% directy for IVDS, under the old code, then re-rated again under the new code. It's difficult to be rated for incapacitating episodes, since few doctors prescribe immobility for the condition anymore. My rating was based in part on ROM and in part on incapacitating episodes and absences from work. I was initially 40% just for this, but then was rated 10% for sciatica due to a subsequent claim. I was initially rated in 2002, then again in 2003 after they changed the rating code.

There goes another one. I dont like it when VSO's hand out mis information. It makes them look bad. The regs changed a few years ago.

Ankylosis is no longer the issue as the regs are based on Incapacitating episodes.

You will be rated on periods of bed rest so your VSO is not up to date on the regs like a lot of poor folks out there.

Most likely not her fault, but her superior reps.

J

Thanks for the responses. I am under the same impression that she was basically misinformed.

Travis

Yes Travis, Do put in for your declining condition claim. Make sure you never tell them you are having a good day or less painful day...be real! You know with a back injury you never really have a good day, but continual pain you basically live with, however don't say you can live with the pain.

If one has a good or fair day and 6 terrible one's they will rate or decline to rate any increase on the 1 good day.

Sometimes one may have a new VSO who may not be versed in all of the regulations, especially one's that have changes in them.

As you are here @ hadit you know it is here you will find many suggestions others have used to assist with their claims. Ultimately we all want our fellow vets to receive the awards they are truely entitled to receive, so keep coming back and don't forget to use the search area too. Many valuable items are addressed there too.

Good luck with your claims in the future and keep us all posted on your journey.

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• Advertisemnt

• question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

You can read the forums without registering.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>