VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Ptsd Condition

Rate this question

Papa

Question

"The other diagnosis for Axis I is Eating Disorder NOS. The multiple Axis I diagnosis diagnoses are related and the secondary diagnosis does represent a progression of the primary diagnosis because claimant would eat as a means of calming his anxiety throughout the years leading to morbid obesity The symptoms of each mental disorder cannot be delineated from each other. The eating disorder is intertwined with the symptoms of the PTSD and can not be clearly delineated."

Axis II: Diagnosis Deferred on Axis II.

Axis III: Deferred to medical evaluation.

Axis IV: Severe chronic health conditions, exposure to extreme traumatic experiences in the service, inability to continue work.

Axis V: The GAF score is 50.

ANSWER(S) TO THE QUESTION(S) FROM THE VA

In reference to the question "Please state if the claimed conditions exist and if so, describe the functional impairment caused by those disabilities and the effect of that impairment on the claimant's ability to perform physical and sedentary activities of employment. If disabilities other than the claimed conditions exist and are impairing the claimant's ability to perform physical and sedentary activities of employment, please comment on those separately. "the following is the answer: The mental health issues are the primary reason that the claimant is no longer able to remain in an employable situation, and is no longer able to function in his job setting."

She also states in so many words gthat since I have gone without treatment for over 40 years, that I may be beyond hope.

Is this wording strong enough to get me P&T or TDIU?

What impact will the Eating Disorder NOS have on my claim? Will the VA accept this diagnosis? It would appear they would have to (I know) accept it since it was their Doctor and on a C&P exam.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Papa

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Papa,

If the examiner specified the eating disorder is secondary to PTSD then you should be ok, my years of self medicating with drugs and alcohol are no different than your eating disorder but the examiner for my first C&P two years ago stated in the record that my alcohol and drug dependence was secondary to the PTSD. The examiner also stated my difficulties with gainful employment are a direct result of PTSD. You may talk to your Dr. about placing notes in your file stating you should be TDIU and the reasons why, you may also request a letter from your Dr. stating the same and forward copies to your VARO, certified delivery return receipt requested. If you and your Dr. build a good solid case that leaves no doubt in the rater's mind you could be rated at either 100% P&T or TDIU, be honest, persistant and ask for help.

This must be in 2 different forums as I replied t you somewhere else here this AM

Berta,

You are right, there is a current one under C&P. I was not getting any response to this post until today. On the other one I posted my entire C&P PTSD exam.

Papa

This must be in 2 different forums as I replied t you somewhere else here this AM

Papa,

The only DC i can find in the schedule for rating disability's that applies to

"claimant would eat as a means of calming his anxiety throughout the years leading to morbid obesity"

Now, not to be thinking negatively but I guess if the reason for your death someday, should be ruled as

due to morbid obesity (by autopsy) that would cover a spouse for DIC.

http://edocket.acces.../38cfr4.130.htm

Eating Disorders

9520 Anorexia nervosa

9521 Bulimia nervosa

Rating Formula for Eating Disorders:

Self-induced weight loss to less than 80 percent of ..... 100

expected minimum weight, with incapacitating

episodes of at least six weeks total duration per

year, and requiring hospitalization more than

twice a year for parenteral nutrition or tube

feeding...

Self-induced weight loss to less than 85 percent of ..... 60

expected minimum weight with incapacitating

episodes of six or more weeks total duration per

year...

Self-induced weight loss to less than 85 percent of ..... 30

expected minimum weight with incapacitating

episodes of more than two but less than six weeks

total duration per year...

Binge eating followed by self-induced vomiting or .....10

other measures to prevent weight gain, or

resistance to weight gain even when below expected

minimum weight, with diagnosis of an eating

disorder and incapacitating episodes of up to two

weeks total duration per year...

Binge eating followed by self-induced vomiting or ..... 0

other measures to prevent weight gain, or

resistance to weight gain even when below expected

minimum weight, with diagnosis of an eating

disorder but without incapacitating episodes...

Thank you Carlie for the information. I was wondering if this would be away to get my sleep apnea SC?

Papa