VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Va Appt

Rate this topic

If you have chronic pain I would wrangle an appointment with a psychiatrist and the VA pain clinic. You have a back problem and you have pain and possible depression due to disability. You wanted to get rated fully for both. You need to let them know how bad your pain is and keep repeating it.

Thanks john999, the lady I made my appt with told me all I need is a list of my current medications. Now should I tell my new PCP at the VA that I am taking pain medication from my Civilian PCP. If I do, will he/she most likely tell me to stop with the Civilian and let VA handle it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

John

I don't think the VA will tell you to stop taking your civilian pain meds. You may be able to get the same meds for free via the VA. I would try and get a referral to a VA shrink to get a DX of chronic pain syndrome/depression. Almost everyone who has chronic pain and takes narcotic pain meds has some aspects of pain disorder/depression. I would bet you have some sleep problems, mobility problems, frustration and anguish at not being able to do what you used to be able to do. These things are all part of the syndrome. The physical cannot be separated from the mental. The VA likes to think they can and that we are just mechanical soldiers, but it isn't so. I would google Chronic Pain Disorder and see how you match up. What kinds of pain meds do you get from private doctor? The VA has limited formulary.

Thanks for the advice John, I am taking Norco for my back and my pain management doctor gave me flexeril (one before bed) but I haven't felt the need to take it yet. So far when I wake up with pain I have been taking a Norco and am back to sleep within an hour. I am sure that I do have some depression, evidenced by when I lay awake in the morning trying to think of a reason to get up an face the pain. Standing in a small area like at the sink or stove causes the bilateral sciatica to act up and I can only walk a short distance. When I see other men my age or older who seem to get around fine I wonder if had I not served in the Army for twenty years, would I have the same physical problems! That does anger me especially when VA doesn't want to acknowledge my pain with the proper rating. I am also sc'd for ligament damage bilateral ankles at 0%. Does that entitle me for free treatment at the VA or do I need to be at least 10%?

John

I don't think the VA will tell you to stop taking your civilian pain meds. You may be able to get the same meds for free via the VA. I would try and get a referral to a VA shrink to get a DX of chronic pain syndrome/depression. Almost everyone who has chronic pain and takes narcotic pain meds has some aspects of pain disorder/depression. I would bet you have some sleep problems, mobility problems, frustration and anguish at not being able to do what you used to be able to do. These things are all part of the syndrome. The physical cannot be separated from the mental. The VA likes to think they can and that we are just mechanical soldiers, but it isn't so. I would google Chronic Pain Disorder and see how you match up. What kinds of pain meds do you get from private doctor? The VA has limited formulary.