VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Just Found Out Have Additional Disabilities That Should Qualify Me For Smc "s" Award

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Chuck75 - I agree they'll probably call it a duplication, especially since it will cost them $30k retro on a CUE claim, if it isn't. Both the PN's are listed as secondary to diabetes and the Hypertension is listed as secondary to alcoholism but the alcoholism is not listed as secondary to PTSD. Thanks!

pr

This is interesting, in that code 9411 is listed twice. I'd almost bet that this, according to the VA, will be considered a duplication, and not considered as separate items.

(Bi-laterals, on the other hand, get the additional factor added.) I'd look at the alcoholism as secondary to PTSD, with it's own code.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

What would be your effective date for "S". If the VA did not award "S" and you are entitled to it then it is a CUE. You would want to claim the SMC as soon as you became eligible for it. I got $8200 in retro on mine. I guess you take meds for the DMII? Have you ever had your legs tested for any sort of artery disease? I did by accident and found a problem related to DMII that eventually became rated as heart disease secondary to DMII. If you get a CT scan of your legs you might find a problem there and it is most certainly secondary to DMII (almost presumptive the association is so strong). CAD disease often starts in the legs for those with DMII. Just complain about pain in your legs and cramping when you walk. That should get you a scan and I bet they find something like calcification in the arteries.

• HadIt.com Elder

john999 - If it were awarded, for the CUE, it would be 1/2001. If awarded for the two recent PN awards it would be 7/2010. Either one should be a CUE as they should have been picked up, automatically, by the rater, at the time of the awards. When I filed for IHD they gave me a stress test which supposedly showed negative for IHD. I've never been diagnosed w/IHD but figured since I'm 65yo I should have some type of heart disease. I guess I don't but will request the leg scan. Thanks!!

pr

What would be your effective date for "S". If the VA did not award "S" and you are entitled to it then it is a CUE. You would want to claim the SMC as soon as you became eligible for it. I got $8200 in retro on mine. I guess you take meds for the DMII? Have you ever had your legs tested for any sort of artery disease? I did by accident and found a problem related to DMII that eventually became rated as heart disease secondary to DMII. If you get a CT scan of your legs you might find a problem there and it is most certainly secondary to DMII (almost presumptive the association is so strong). CAD disease often starts in the legs for those with DMII. Just complain about pain in your legs and cramping when you walk. That should get you a scan and I bet they find something like calcification in the arteries.

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

Phil

You know the only way to really tell if you have a heart problem is a heart cath, but it is invasive and has its own risks.

• HadIt.com Elder

John, I don't do invasive. Ya know sometimes we're better off not knowing.

pr

Phil

You know the only way to really tell if you have a heart problem is a heart cath, but it is invasive and has its own risks.

Carlie made a good point. Under Allen V Principi you could claim any disabilities due to alcoholism that is secondary to PTSD.

Not saying this applies to you Flip but EVERY vet who has ED should attempt to see if they can get SMC K award for it.

It could be directly due to a SC disability or even caused by SC meds.