VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Awarded Increase!

Rate this topic

mags1023

jc- You DO NOT report any VA disability on your tax return. The SSD is reportable, but whether it is taxable depends on your income. As far as itemizing, you need to realize that for a married couple, your standard deduction is $11,400.00. So, you need to compare your standard deduction to your itemized deductions to see which benefits you the most. Your Accountant should be able to help you with this.

Papa

Thanks Papa. Yes, at least this first year that I am 100% TDIU and SSID I will be using an independent tax preparation person. Next year may be a different story. I was talking to a vet that lives near me a couple weeks ago. His comment was that for 4-5 years he would send in his tax return and last year he received a letter from the IRS that in short, said, dont bother us anymore. I asked to see the letter and sure enough, it clearly stated that there was no further benefit to him or the IRS and unless his employment status changed (if he got a job where the employer would withhold taxes) he is exempt from even filing. Sure surprised me, but seeing is believing...and I did see the letter.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

yes we had that discussion with the IRS back in 2003 when I got my SSD since it is less than 32,000 and my spouse doesn't work there is no taxable amount and it is just a waste of their time for us to even fill out the forms so they can process them they said to not send anymore forms again unless my wife returned to work since I need a 24 hour care taker that isn't going to happen I think when I turn 67 then the SS becomes taxable again but the odds of me living to see that age I will worry about taxes if I am lucky to live that long until then I am going to enjoy my tax free status now if I could just find a way to get back my sales tax from the state

Is the TDIU and SSID income all the income that you have? If so, don't waste your money at a Tax place. You don't need to file. If you have other wages, business income, rental income, etc. yes you need to see a Tax person.

Papa

Thanks Papa. Yes, at least this first year that I am 100% TDIU and SSID I will be using an independent tax preparation person. Next year may be a different story. I was talking to a vet that lives near me a couple weeks ago. His comment was that for 4-5 years he would send in his tax return and last year he received a letter from the IRS that in short, said, dont bother us anymore. I asked to see the letter and sure enough, it clearly stated that there was no further benefit to him or the IRS and unless his employment status changed (if he got a job where the employer would withhold taxes) he is exempt from even filing. Sure surprised me, but seeing is believing...and I did see the letter.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yet, on occasion, the VA wants a copy of your non-existent tax return to prove that you aren't making too much money to qualify for benefits associated with low income. (VA Pensions, etc. I presume)

Another issue mentioned in the thread had to do with VA disability payments. In general, they do not belong on a tax return. But, there are some optional credits/allowances that, in fine print,

require that the disability payments be listed. The wording was quite confusing, the last time I bothered to read it.

Is the TDIU and SSID income all the income that you have? If so, don't waste your money at a Tax place. You don't need to file. If you have other wages, business income, rental income, etc. yes you need to see a Tax person.

Papa

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use