VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got Copy Of C&p And Have Questions

Rate this question

bakerkd

Question

Hello all,

I had an initial C&P for MH (Anxiety) back in Dec10 and I just got a copy from the ROI folks. What confuses me is that i had a GAF of 60 (period of 1year) but thy DR put that I had problems with maintaining daily activities (ie; hiegene )... I don't ! and i'm unable to manage my own finances... I am , I explained to him that my wife handles the finances and i'm happy to let her. Not that I can't do it. Under the summary there is a question that reads as follows;

"is there total social and economic impairment....? The Dr answered YES. He also included a note that I am currently full time employed I'm no genius but i'm guessing this could be a high rating. Anyone care to add their 2 Cents as to what they thing the rating could be?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

if you are employed full time, that will likely adversely impact any rating. The doctor saying that you cannot handle your own finances, as opposed to rather not handle finances, is both a plus for a rating, and a minus in that the VA may want to "appoint" a fiduciary. The VA appointment of a fiduciary can open up a really big can of worms, and should be avoided if at all possible.

Hello all,

I had an initial C&P for MH (Anxiety) back in Dec10 and I just got a copy from the ROI folks. What confuses me is that i had a GAF of 60 (period of 1year) but thy DR put that I had problems with maintaining daily activities (ie; hiegene )... I don't ! and i'm unable to manage my own finances... I am , I explained to him that my wife handles the finances and i'm happy to let her. Not that I can't do it. Under the summary there is a question that reads as follows;

"is there total social and economic impairment....? The Dr answered YES. He also included a note that I am currently full time employed I'm no genius but i'm guessing this could be a high rating. Anyone care to add their 2 Cents as to what they thing the rating could be?

Yes Chuck. I agree there is a HUGE difference between not doing and not being ABLE to do. I was amazed that he noted I was well groomed, well dressed and articulate yet answered no to the question of whether I was able to handle everyday activities such as Hygiene

• HadIt.com Elder

The exam makes no sense. If you can't take care of yourself and handle your finances how can you be able to work full time? This exam contradicts itself. The thing is that if you can work you can't expect a high rating on a mental health disability. Usually 50% is about all you can hope for if you are able to work full time. GAF of 60 means a moderate impairment which tilts towards a 30% rating, but who knows. With such a screwy exam anything can happen. You need more evidence of your own. You just can't depend on the VA for evidence.

The exam makes no sense. If you can't take care of yourself and handle your finances how can you be able to work full time? This exam contradicts itself. The thing is that if you can work you can't expect a high rating on a mental health disability. Usually 50% is about all you can hope for if you are able to work full time. GAF of 60 means a moderate impairment which tilts towards a 30% rating, but who knows. With such a screwy exam anything can happen. You need more evidence of your own. You just can't depend on the VA for evidence.

Has me confused as well. The GAF is moderate. He states the daily activities and Finances as i mentioned earlier and also goes on to state that I have obsessive/ritualistic behaviors and few friends. I Have know idea where those came from! 6 Months ago I was a highly functioning active duty E-8, now i'm retired and full time employed ( highly functional according to my bosses) as an analyst but the exam makes me sound like i'm incompetant. I have a peripheral nerve disorder that worsens with anxiety and so i am treated with anti-anxiety medication. I thought I would claim the anxiety since i am treated for it lessen the effects of the neurological condition. The Dr stated that I suffer from a "Vicious cycle between pain and anxiety" I guess I cant argue with that part of the exam.

bakerkd, i had a GAF of 45 and was not working got 30%. But u never can tell it up to the rater and if u don't like it u then appeal

it. Never look for the highest rating from VA,just a rating,then as long as u get a rating you can then appeal for a higher percentage

Oldjoe!!

Thanks OldJoe. The rating is what it is I guess. I'm just hopefull that they dont put me out of work. Would be over the moon if I got a 30%. in fact any rating under 100% would be just fine.

Was there a service nexus statement in the C & P?

Can you scan and attach the whole thing here? (cover personal stuff)