Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Depression Denied Problem....

This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 


Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 


This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.




Long story short i keep getting denied sc for depression becasue of a non service connected stabbing....i was stabbed in my home and since then i went to the va for treatment of depression..that was a big mistake..lol they use that every time to say that my depression is present becasue of my stabbing and not becasue of my sc issues..... my sc issue is back,migrians,bilateral sciatia,ankle total of 70% overall.... i tried to to talk with my va phy dr about my depresison coming from my sc issues... but i see him like every 7 months and he just gives me meds and says ok. as i check medical record and it just says depression blah blha blah.. so i know it is a fight to get the va to quit blaming my depression on my stabbing and n my service connected issues....help here please.... i going to ask my va dr straight out if he can write something that says my sc issue are causing most of my depression.... i guess i could seek out a outside phy dr? i can see why they are dening me as no dr saying that my depressin is becasue of my service connected issues.. shuld i seek out a phy dr that will say i have depressin and it from my sc issues...or get him to say its mood disorder or pain disorder...mow i am not trying to scam the va but i have so many issue fro msc that i do have depresson but they give me nothing for it and just blame it on the stabbing ....

Edited by rgero311975
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Recommended Posts

You need an independent medical opinion from a psychiatrist or psychologist who needs to access all available inservice records as well as all of your VA records to determine whether the depression has a service related nexus.

."i was stabbed in my home and since then i went to the va for treatment of depression..that was a big mistake..lol they use that every time to say that my depression is".....

You need proof of depression prior to the stabbing incident that has no other medical etiology but for service.

Do you have any post service treatment records for depression prior to this incident?

Were the SCs you now have determined after or before this stabbing incident?

''my sc issue is back,migrians,bilateral sciatia,ankle total of 70% overall.'

Did those decisions consider pain and the DeLuca Factor?

Edited by Berta
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have told many vets and practice what I preach DO NOT SAY ANYTHING DURING A VA APPT THAT YOU DO NOT WANT IN YOUR RECORDS!

Everything you say can and will be used against you! That is what is happening to you and to get it undone is going to take a lot. To get a VA doc to say that your depression is because of your SCs and not the stabbing after you went to the VA after the stabbing for depression treatment and not before is hurting you.

As Berta says if you can get get a VA doc or a private doc to say it is because of your SCs then you will have a chance.

I might suggest another route where you say that you were dealing with your SCs and then the stabbing just aggravated your depression to a level you could not deal with then and made you want to just give UP!!

Get a copy of your medical records before the stabbing and see if there is any mention of you saying you were depressed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i didnt complain of depression prior to my 2002 stabbing....i didnt apply for va benifits till 2004...since then i am 70% overall. I was thinking stupuidly that the va would be smart enough tg.hat with all my sc issues that they could say yes u have depreesion bc of stabbing but your sc issue casue depression too and make it worse?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Well, I would do it Berta's way, except "cheaper". Let me explain.

Some VA docs are more "Veteran friendly" than others. If yours wont provide a nexus, and it sounds like he wont, ask for a change of doc.

Tell the new doc your side of the story as to why you think your depression is related to military service. Always tell the truth. But tell your side of the story. Then ask him for a nexus statement.

Check his report. If no nexus, get another doc, until you get the nexus statement, that is, until you find a "Veteran friendly" doctor.

An IMO would serve the same purpose, but would cost more money. So, just change docs in the VA.

You do not have to give the VA a reason why you changed docs, but you can be bold and say that doc is not "Veteran friendly" if you like.

IN most VAMCs there are multiple docs and ask at your VAMC how to change the doc.

I happen to know that there is a law firm in my city that gets (mostly social security and workman comp) benefits in that same way. They simply send you to a doc they know will "favor" the Veteran.

The reason my method is cheaper is because, often a private practice IMO or IME is expensive. However, changing VA docs should not cost you anything. JMHO

You might be able to save some time by talking to some of the Vets who have been around your VAMC a while. Talk to them in the waiting areas, the lines, etc. Ask em about "veteran friendly" docs. A few of them may tell you. A vet helped me..and now I am helping you.

Edited by broncovet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HadIt.com Elder

I think I would hire an IMO because you can screen every word that is going into the record. If you talk to your VA shrink you can be sure what they are writing in your permanent record. You may go from the frying pan into the fire. You have to undo the damage you have done by telling them about the stabbing. That means you must find an alternative reason for your depression and have your shrink make the case for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Sure hiring an IMO is preferrable! But Vets with little or no benefits often can not afford it! I am saying if you dont have the money, go seek another VA docs opinion. But, if you have got the money, by all means get an IMO. Or, if you are Bill Gates and dont need the money, just plain skip the VA it isnt worth it, and hire your own doc.

IMO's and IME's often cost thousands of dollars. Altho they may be worth it, if you dont have it you cant get blood out of a beet. And, if that Veteran must choose whether to provide food for his family, a roof over their head, or an IMO, then choose food and forget the IMO/IME.

Edited by broncovet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • Advertisemnt

  • question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.


    You can read the forums without registering.


    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.


    Leading to:


    Post straightforward questions and then post background information.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?


    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.




    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines