VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression Denied Problem....

Rate this question

rgero311975

Question

Long story short i keep getting denied sc for depression becasue of a non service connected stabbing....i was stabbed in my home and since then i went to the va for treatment of depression..that was a big mistake..lol they use that every time to say that my depression is present becasue of my stabbing and not becasue of my sc issues..... my sc issue is back,migrians,bilateral sciatia,ankle total of 70% overall.... i tried to to talk with my va phy dr about my depresison coming from my sc issues... but i see him like every 7 months and he just gives me meds and says ok. as i check medical record and it just says depression blah blha blah.. so i know it is a fight to get the va to quit blaming my depression on my stabbing and n my service connected issues....help here please.... i going to ask my va dr straight out if he can write something that says my sc issue are causing most of my depression.... i guess i could seek out a outside phy dr? i can see why they are dening me as no dr saying that my depressin is becasue of my service connected issues.. shuld i seek out a phy dr that will say i have depressin and it from my sc issues...or get him to say its mood disorder or pain disorder...mow i am not trying to scam the va but i have so many issue fro msc that i do have depresson but they give me nothing for it and just blame it on the stabbing ....

Edited by rgero311975

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

You need an independent medical opinion from a psychiatrist or psychologist who needs to access all available inservice records as well as all of your VA records to determine whether the depression has a service related nexus.

."i was stabbed in my home and since then i went to the va for treatment of depression..that was a big mistake..lol they use that every time to say that my depression is".....

You need proof of depression prior to the stabbing incident that has no other medical etiology but for service.

Do you have any post service treatment records for depression prior to this incident?

Were the SCs you now have determined after or before this stabbing incident?

''my sc issue is back,migrians,bilateral sciatia,ankle total of 70% overall.'

Did those decisions consider pain and the DeLuca Factor?

Edited by Berta

I have told many vets and practice what I preach DO NOT SAY ANYTHING DURING A VA APPT THAT YOU DO NOT WANT IN YOUR RECORDS!

Everything you say can and will be used against you! That is what is happening to you and to get it undone is going to take a lot. To get a VA doc to say that your depression is because of your SCs and not the stabbing after you went to the VA after the stabbing for depression treatment and not before is hurting you.

As Berta says if you can get get a VA doc or a private doc to say it is because of your SCs then you will have a chance.

I might suggest another route where you say that you were dealing with your SCs and then the stabbing just aggravated your depression to a level you could not deal with then and made you want to just give UP!!

Get a copy of your medical records before the stabbing and see if there is any mention of you saying you were depressed.

i didnt complain of depression prior to my 2002 stabbing....i didnt apply for va benifits till 2004...since then i am 70% overall. I was thinking stupuidly that the va would be smart enough tg.hat with all my sc issues that they could say yes u have depreesion bc of stabbing but your sc issue casue depression too and make it worse?

Well, I would do it Berta's way, except "cheaper". Let me explain.

Some VA docs are more "Veteran friendly" than others. If yours wont provide a nexus, and it sounds like he wont, ask for a change of doc.

Tell the new doc your side of the story as to why you think your depression is related to military service. Always tell the truth. But tell your side of the story. Then ask him for a nexus statement.

Check his report. If no nexus, get another doc, until you get the nexus statement, that is, until you find a "Veteran friendly" doctor.

An IMO would serve the same purpose, but would cost more money. So, just change docs in the VA.

You do not have to give the VA a reason why you changed docs, but you can be bold and say that doc is not "Veteran friendly" if you like.

IN most VAMCs there are multiple docs and ask at your VAMC how to change the doc.

I happen to know that there is a law firm in my city that gets (mostly social security and workman comp) benefits in that same way. They simply send you to a doc they know will "favor" the Veteran.

The reason my method is cheaper is because, often a private practice IMO or IME is expensive. However, changing VA docs should not cost you anything. JMHO

You might be able to save some time by talking to some of the Vets who have been around your VAMC a while. Talk to them in the waiting areas, the lines, etc. Ask em about "veteran friendly" docs. A few of them may tell you. A vet helped me..and now I am helping you.

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

I think I would hire an IMO because you can screen every word that is going into the record. If you talk to your VA shrink you can be sure what they are writing in your permanent record. You may go from the frying pan into the fire. You have to undo the damage you have done by telling them about the stabbing. That means you must find an alternative reason for your depression and have your shrink make the case for it.

Sure hiring an IMO is preferrable! But Vets with little or no benefits often can not afford it! I am saying if you dont have the money, go seek another VA docs opinion. But, if you have got the money, by all means get an IMO. Or, if you are Bill Gates and dont need the money, just plain skip the VA it isnt worth it, and hire your own doc.

IMO's and IME's often cost thousands of dollars. Altho they may be worth it, if you dont have it you cant get blood out of a beet. And, if that Veteran must choose whether to provide food for his family, a roof over their head, or an IMO, then choose food and forget the IMO/IME.

Edited by broncovet