VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression Denied Problem....

Rate this question

rgero311975

Question

Long story short i keep getting denied sc for depression becasue of a non service connected stabbing....i was stabbed in my home and since then i went to the va for treatment of depression..that was a big mistake..lol they use that every time to say that my depression is present becasue of my stabbing and not becasue of my sc issues..... my sc issue is back,migrians,bilateral sciatia,ankle total of 70% overall.... i tried to to talk with my va phy dr about my depresison coming from my sc issues... but i see him like every 7 months and he just gives me meds and says ok. as i check medical record and it just says depression blah blha blah.. so i know it is a fight to get the va to quit blaming my depression on my stabbing and n my service connected issues....help here please.... i going to ask my va dr straight out if he can write something that says my sc issue are causing most of my depression.... i guess i could seek out a outside phy dr? i can see why they are dening me as no dr saying that my depressin is becasue of my service connected issues.. shuld i seek out a phy dr that will say i have depressin and it from my sc issues...or get him to say its mood disorder or pain disorder...mow i am not trying to scam the va but i have so many issue fro msc that i do have depresson but they give me nothing for it and just blame it on the stabbing ....

Edited by rgero311975

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Sure hiring an IMO is preferrable! But Vets with little or no benefits often can not afford it! I am saying if you dont have the money, go seek another VA docs opinion. But, if you have got the money, by all means get an IMO. Or, if you are Bill Gates and dont need the money, just plain skip the VA it isnt worth it, and hire your own doc.

IMO's and IME's often cost thousands of dollars. Altho they may be worth it, if you dont have it you cant get blood out of a beet. And, if that Veteran must choose whether to provide food for his family, a roof over their head, or an IMO, then choose food and forget the IMO/IME.

imo is out of the question...i try talking to my va theriapist dr...but he not very vveteran frendlily..lol changing dr that might work...i ask around....... outside therpist wuld cost money and i notice i nthe past on my claims that otside dr theripist nt hold much wieght?????

I think by "outside" you mean a private practice physician "outside" of the VA. That is, an IMO/IME. As Berta has pointed out, the VA cant ignore "outside" medical opinions. (But they do anyway, and then they are usually reversed upon appeal).

To explain, my suggestion is that if your doctor wont supply a nexus statment, and you cant afford a private practice IMO/IME, then simply try getting another VA doc to supply your nexus statement.

To find a "Veteran friendly" doc, try talking to other VEts in your VAMC and see if they can recommend a "Veteran friendly" doc.

Then, go to the VA and tell them you are not happy with .......Doc, that you would like to switch to Dr. ..................

Most of the time you can switch..they just cant make you keep going to a doc you dont get along with.

Its just an idea that I am trying to help..if it helps you, great. If it does not, feel free to do anything else that works for you.

rgero,

I do not know if you will ever be able to succeed in getting a mental health disability

granted either way you go.

Seems like there's been alot of dancing around.

I don't see SC for a mental health disability being granted without a mental health provider with the proper

pedigree stating they have reviewed your medical records and in their opinion your depression or pain disorder is due solely

to your SC'd disability's.

Also, as Berta posted no other medical etiology can be the reason for your mental health disability.

I feel with the medical evidence already of record you might be beating a dead horse.

From your previous post it looks like it maybe quite difficult.

"va dr diagnosed me with depression of non service event! So each time i claimed depression at the c and p it was denied becasue of that!!!

So i have to go with pain disorder or mood disorder ... "

JMHO