VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Benefits Come With Tdiu - P & T

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

Okay. So today I got the actual letter from the VA about my TDIU award. My combined rating is still 80%, but they'll be paying me at 100% with no examinations scheduled in the future. They also state that basic eligibility to Dependents' Educational Assistance has been established from my claim date back in 2009. (Could this mean they might retro and pay for my kid's last year of college?!)

The decision letter goes on to say that I "may" be entitled to:

CHAMPVA for my dependents

a waiver of my VGLI premiums, if I already have a policy (I don't. Butt bruised about that one)

Armed Forces Commissary & Exchange privileges

Discharge of Federal Student Loans

VA Healthcare (already in the system and using it!)

Vocational Rehabilitation.

Also they included a VA Form 21-8760 which says I might qualify for Adaptive housing, Special Home Adaption Grant, Adaptive Automobile Equipment, Dental Treatment, and again, Commissary & Exchange Privileges, etc.

I tried again this afternoon to call the 1-800-827 number to ask about the certification rating paper I need to apply for an ID card, but couldn't get through to them.

Which of these items am I really eligible for? The Adaptive Housing, Auto, etc., I know not just now, because I can still get around with just a cane, and I can drive okay. But Dental? Really?

I'm finding it hard to breathe. This all feels so overwhelming. My mind is spinning.

I've been awarded all this mainly because of my PTSD. But my PTSD makes me feel unworthy and that I can't possibly deserve it. I feel like there's a pair of disagreeing cats fighting it out in my insides right now.

Guest terrysturgis

Hedgey, please try not to feel as you say "unworthy" because you are receiving the benifits to which you are entitled. The VA does not give 100% out very easy, you earned your percentage for your service to our country. Enjoy. Terry

• Founder

Terry - This is an excellent point, as most know who are 100% you've probably lost a lot before you got to the 100% level and the VA does not grant 100% easily, if they say your granted then believe me they have scrutinized every piece of information in your claims folder and there is no evidence in there that doesn't point to 100%. They don't grant that easily. So like Terry said please don't feel as though you are unworthy, you earned this with your service and your sacrifice this is not welfare it is an earned benefit. So take it easy on yourself.

Hedgey, please try not to feel as you say "unworthy" because you are receiving the benifits to which you are entitled. The VA does not give 100% out very easy, you earned your percentage for your service to our country. Enjoy. Terry

Thanks so much, everyone. I know it must be a bore when I keep blathering about it. Y'all are right. The VA doesn't give anything away, even when we send them wagon loads of proof. I should really just try to relax. We have a bitty tub, or I'd take a long soak...

My dear spouse keeps reminding me of all the years, all that I've missed and all that I'll never be able to do. Not to bring me down, (but to bolster me). I'm looking forward to seeing the therapist tomorrow.

Thanks again!

• HadIt.com Elder

"It's okay with me, but I'm confused. If I don't do the paperwork to ID her as my college-student dependent, how will they see her as my dependent for DEA purposes? I'd MUCH rather see her get the DEA benefit, if it's a matter of choice."

Hedgey, it ain't an "either/or" situation (don't know about SOME of these VA folks). OF COURSE you must fill out the form indicating that you do, in fact, have this daughter. And, as long as she remains under the age limit for being your dependent then you are entitled to her little bit extra per month.

That is a benefit (although a paltry one) of you being over 50% disabled, and you would be getting it (provided the VA knows of her existence) regardless of whether you were 100% or not (you'd get it even if you stayed BELOW 100%). The DEA is paid to HER because you are unable to contribute to her educational expenses due to your 100% disability and has nothing to do with the fact that you are receiving a little extra each month because you have a dependent.

Okay?

Larry, thank you so much!

It seemed like a simple thing to me, but Mr. VA Rep was adamant and rather convincing. I'll get that 21-674 ready to fly outta here tomorrow.

I am very, very grateful to have access to good information from folks who really know the truth!

Thank you!!