VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p For Increase In Sc Left Knee

Rate this question

pelicanbrave

Question

Just had C&P exam for my Left Knee in early December and I have a few questions on rating certain things:

I am SC at 20% for left knee lateral laxity after 3 surgeries in the Army. I was kind of confused because I actually had 2 C&P exams for my knee within a week and each had different results but I just went with the flow. Here's what was written on my copy of the C&P:

One doctor had knee range of motion: Left Flexion 0 to 90 degrees and extension was 0 degrees

Summary of joint findings

Joint: Knee

SIDE: Left

Findings: Crepitus

ADDITIONAL DISCRIPTION OF ABNORMAL FINDINGS: Mild crepitus with ROM

PATELLAR ABNORMALITY: YES

TYPE OF PATELLAR ABNORMALITY SUBPATELLAR TENDERNESS

IS THERE LOSS OF A BONE OR PART OF A BONE: YES One third of knee cap removed.

IS THERE A HISTORY OF HOSPITALIZATION OR SURGERY: YES

REASON FOR SURGERY: Had one third os knee cap removed with lateral release also left knee debridement and scopr

A Fabella is noted otherwise normal X-Ray.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT PHYSICAL FINDINGS: Scar located mid patella, 1cm x 6cm linear scar< well healed, no keloid formation, no tenderness to palpation affecting 0% of exposed skin and less than one percent of entire body

The other doctoe stated that my extention was 20 and flection to 95.

LEFT THIGH: Is 2cm smaller in circumfrence than his right

SUMMARY OF SYMPTOMS:

JOINT: KNEE

SIDE: LEFT

DEFORMITY: NO

GIVING WAY: YES

INSTABILITY: YES

PAIN: YES

STIFFNESS:YES

WEAKNESS: YES

INCOORDINATION: NO

DECREASED SPEED OF JOINT MOTION: YES

EPISODES OF DISLOCATION OR SUBLUXATION: NONE

LOCKING EPISODES: NONE

EFFUSIONS: NONE

SYMPTIOMS OF INFLAMATION: NONE DOES THE CONDITION AFFECT THE MOTION OF THE JOINT: YES

FLARE UPS OF JOINT DISEASE: YESSECERITY: MODERATELY

FREQUENCY: WEEKLY

DURATION: 1 TO 2 DAYS

CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS MEANS AND AM I IN DANGER OD LOSING MY 20% SC RATING? I HAVE BEEN SC'D SINCE 2000. THANKS!!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Can't really comment on the meanings of the findings of your exam, but from my recent readings.....after having a rating for 5+ year, they cannot reduce your SC rating base upon a single exam....basically they have to prove that your condition has actually improved and not just a quick snapshot. Beyond that, at 20+ years of rating, they cannot reduce your SC rating unless they can prove fraud on the original assignment.

Travis

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Travis and wish you best of luck. If you use homepage you can find what the percents are and match up.

Most of the time the VA has lowballed and usually someone with a bad limb will have secondary conditions that also should be rated.

I had a total knee replacement done in "08" and awarded 30%. Which I believe is the max for the surgery and later awarded 60% for an unsuccessful surgery. I can't comment on your situation cause of differancies between our injuries. What I can tell you is, if you have an abnormal gait because of your knee problems such as back problems, sciatic pain, etc. you can claim those problems as secondary injuries due to the abnormal gait that was caused by your knee. The list can go on and on such as, your bad back can cause other problems as well. Now unless these problems existed while in service and noted in your SMR, more than likely you'll need to get an IMO to connect the dots. Even better to try to get your VA doc to agree with you and have him write up a nexus to back it up. But be aware, alot of VA Doc's won't do this, even if the truth is stareing them in the eye's! Good Luck PB

• HadIt.com Elder

Just had C&P exam for my Left Knee in early December and I have a few questions on rating certain things:

I am SC at 20% for left knee lateral laxity after 3 surgeries in the Army. I was kind of confused because I actually had 2 C&P exams for my knee within a week and each had different results but I just went with the flow. Here's what was written on my copy of the C&P:

One doctor had knee range of motion: Left Flexion 0 to 90 degrees and extension was 0 degrees

Summary of joint findings

Joint: Knee

SIDE: Left

Findings: Crepitus

ADDITIONAL DISCRIPTION OF ABNORMAL FINDINGS: Mild crepitus with ROM

PATELLAR ABNORMALITY: YES

TYPE OF PATELLAR ABNORMALITY SUBPATELLAR TENDERNESS

IS THERE LOSS OF A BONE OR PART OF A BONE: YES One third of knee cap removed.

IS THERE A HISTORY OF HOSPITALIZATION OR SURGERY: YES

REASON FOR SURGERY: Had one third os knee cap removed with lateral release also left knee debridement and scopr

A Fabella is noted otherwise normal X-Ray.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT PHYSICAL FINDINGS: Scar located mid patella, 1cm x 6cm linear scar< well healed, no keloid formation, no tenderness to palpation affecting 0% of exposed skin and less than one percent of entire body

The other doctoe stated that my extention was 20 and flection to 95.

LEFT THIGH: Is 2cm smaller in circumfrence than his right

SUMMARY OF SYMPTOMS:

JOINT: KNEE

SIDE: LEFT

DEFORMITY: NO

GIVING WAY: YES

INSTABILITY: YES

PAIN: YES

STIFFNESS:YES

WEAKNESS: YES

INCOORDINATION: NO

DECREASED SPEED OF JOINT MOTION: YES

EPISODES OF DISLOCATION OR SUBLUXATION: NONE

LOCKING EPISODES: NONE

EFFUSIONS: NONE

SYMPTIOMS OF INFLAMATION: NONE DOES THE CONDITION AFFECT THE MOTION OF THE JOINT: YES

FLARE UPS OF JOINT DISEASE: YESSECERITY: MODERATELY

FREQUENCY: WEEKLY

DURATION: 1 TO 2 DAYS

CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS MEANS AND AM I IN DANGER OD LOSING MY 20% SC RATING? I HAVE BEEN SC'D SINCE 2000. THANKS!!

I am a layman who took a medical transcription course. This report appears to have some typographical errors. The definitions of laxity and crepitus can be found online by looking these terms up individually online. I think you should also look up the term subpatellar online. Crepitus is grating, popping, or clicking sounds in a joint. Subpatellar means below the kneecap. Laxity is slackness or looseness. ROM is a term for range of motion. Patella is a term for kneecap. Flection is the act of bending or state of being bent. I have also seen the term flexion used in medical reports and it seems to have a similar meaning. I do have a few comments and questions.

1. Do you wear a brace because of a service-connected condition? If so and your brace causes clothing to wear out you need to file a claim for a V.A. clothing allowance. You have instability of your knee joint so if a kneebrace has not been prescribed for you by a V.A. doctor you need to request that one be prescribed. I am unsure whether a soft brace would wear out clothing or not.

2. Have you been diagnosed with arthritis? I ask this question because trauma to a joint can be a risk factor for development of arthritis. From my reading online I learned that crepitus can be a symptom of osteoarthritis. As far as I know arthritis is a separately ratable condition in the V.A. rating schedule if a veteran with this diagnosis files a claim to service connect the condition. I have read that sometimes claims are filed by veterans who were in combat file a claim requesting service connection of traumatic arthritis.

3. Why was a portion of your kneecap removed? Was this due to a combat injury? If so was there any injury to the underlying muscles and muscle groups? I ask this because there may be other conditions that are seperately rateable if a claim for service connection of the condition was filed. I think that removal of bone is a separate issue in the rating schedule and you definitely need to see a knowledgable service officer at a reputable service organization like Disabled American Veterans about your case.

Edited by deltaj

Thank you for your responses!

I fractured my patella while in service but not combat realted. I had a lateral release which is where they incise the quad to, from what I was told, loosen the muscle so my kneecap would have more range of motion. This has left my left leg much weaker than my right. I think this as also why my left leg is 2cm smaller than my right. I have so many issues back, leg, and ankle issues but if I wear a brace at my job I will probably be fired or at least scrutinized a lot more. I am a painter and work for a city government in South Carolina and I am afraid I will lose my job. I live by myself and this would be devestating to me.