VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Tdiu

Rate this question

jerlor

Question

I have been awarded 100% TDIU w/o any future exams. Although I have a 70% service connected disability. My wife gets Champ VA healthcare. My question is, do I have Armed Forces Commissary & Exchange privileges. If so, how do I go about getting to the PX? What proff will I have to provide and where do I get that proof? I live pretty close to wright Patterson Air Force Base.

I do have the VA letter stating that I am 100% TDIU.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

More info: fill one of tese out for each member including you.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd1172.pdf

Also for Wright Patterson:

DEERS / ID Card / CAC Office

AG HQ Ohio

Address: 2825 West Dublin-Granville Road, Rm. W100, Columbus

Phone: 614-336-7087

Wright-Patterson AFB

Address: 88th FSS/FSPS, 2000 Albrook Drive, Bldg 2, Dayton

Phone: 937-257-2547

J

Congratulations on the award and benefits !

If you were not married to your wife during your military time, she won't be in the Deers system already as you should be.

She will need 4 pieces of ID .....

One, your certified marriage certificate, not the keepsake one but the one filed with the County where you were married.

And, she will need her SS card, a passport or other government issued photo ID, her drivers license and her certified birth

certificate, again ... not the keepsake but the one registered with the County where she was born.

I just went through this yesterday when we went to get my husbands card. And, although we were lucky and spent about

an hour to get his card, they suggest that we make an appt for me to get mine...and he has to be present unless there is a

Power of Attorney on record, which in our case there is. Double check with the CAC office when you call to set up your appt

on exactly what you should bring to the appt, for you, you'll need the official letter the VA sent you and 2 pieces of photo ID.

My husband used his license (even tho he doesn't drive anymore) and his VA medical card.

Again, Congratulations to you and your family.

VetsLady

Edited by VetsLady

Hold the phone, Joan!!!

Are you folks saying that my SPOUSE is going to be able to get a MWR card too???!!

That would be beyond fabulous, because I could send them to the commissary and I could happily avoid the sea of uniforms that are bound to be there...

I've been kind of stressing about going to the installation. I can't help but think that the middle of the commissary might be a bad place for a melt-down. It also seems like going on base will be like tippy toeing through a mine field of possible triggers.

Wow.

Hold the phone, Joan!!!

Are you folks saying that my SPOUSE is going to be able to get a MWR card too???!!

That would be beyond fabulous, because I could send them to the commissary and I could happily avoid the sea of uniforms that are bound to be there...

I've been kind of stressing about going to the installation. I can't help but think that the middle of the commissary might be a bad place for a melt-down. It also seems like going on base will be like tippy toeing through a mine field of possible triggers.

Wow.

YES, she too will receive a card. But, you will need to make that first step in going out to get your own card. My husband had his VA medical card and his drivers license and we took a copy of the letter the RO sent us stating "This Veteran is entitled to commissary privileges, etc." and just in case, I took the entire award/rating which actually turned out to be a good thing because RO didn't put the "entitlement date" for his 100% eff date on the statement ..... When I do get my card, it will need to be renewed every two years. My husband is 100% P&T and his card is INDEF ....

There was a flyer/form on the counter of what documentation the spouse would need to verify identity. I should have grabbed one and scanned it in but I just bet there is someone here on Hadit that will know where to get a copy of this form. I looked at it as it pertained to me and saw what I would need to verify myself and it was: valid DL or State ID, Social Security card, certified birth certificate and our certified marriage certificate.

It took longer to get our temporary base pass that it did to get his card ! We were the 3rd number called after we walked in. We waited 10 minutes. Lucky as I have heard it can be hours. If I'd had the correct documentation for myself, I would have walked out with a card also.

When I do go back, I will call to make an appt. It's always a good idea to avoid a hassle, long lines or triggers to make that appt to go in. When you or your wife call, ask specifically what info they want and perhaps

you can get both cards on the same day. I've heard it done both ways, some won't issue the card on the same day as they issue the Veterans, which makes no sense at all. If all of the documentation is there, then

why not just do it then.

I have a POA for my husband, so if he is unable to go with me to get my card, then I can sign for him. But, do call ahead, it will make the process much easier on you while you are there and you will know exactly what you need to make it a smooth process.

VetsLady

P.S.

If it made any difference at all, we went early in the morning, shortly after they opened. Just a thought ...

Edited by VetsLady

More info: fill one of tese out for each member including you.

http://www.dtic.mil/...orms/dd1172.pdf

Also for Wright Patterson:

DEERS / ID Card / CAC Office

AG HQ Ohio

Address: 2825 West Dublin-Granville Road, Rm. W100, Columbus

Phone: 614-336-7087

Wright-Patterson AFB

Address: 88th FSS/FSPS, 2000 Albrook Drive, Bldg 2, Dayton

Phone: 937-257-2547

J

I took the blank form out with us and they never asked for it. The CAC folks just plunked all the info into the computer while we sat there. And, we were there for maybe 20 minutes after they called his number, we got lucky and there were only 3 folks ahead of us. All total, we were in their office for 30 minutes.

I'd rather be prepared then not, so call ahead....or, maybe we just got lucky.

Edited by VetsLady

My wife and I went to WPAFB today, we got ID cards and only had about a 5 minute wait. We then visited the commissary. Everything was great including the prices. Thanks for the info and the phone number.