VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P&t Claim

Rate this question

deserteagle

Question

Hey everyone,

I am ramping up to open a claim for P&T PTSD. I am currently rated 100% PTSD and want to get all my ducks in a row before submitting for a claim and possible C&P exam. I am wondering what sorts of documentation or other proof would help in winning the permanent status. Right now what I have is:

1) I have been receiving SSDI for about the same amount of time as VA Dis Comp

2) I have been attending both individual and group therapies as much as possible with little to no improvement

3) I have obtained a service dog for help with my PTSD symptoms

I also plan on bringing my wife to my C&P exam who can elaborate on what life is like with me.

Since I am going to be opening the claim, I was also going to try to get the P&T rating back to the original claim date at which time I was only rated 50% (which was approximately 18 months before I received 100%). What, if anything, would help me with this case? I was thinking since I was released from the hospital right before this claim was opened would help me but I am not sure what else would.

If anyone could please help me in getting as much ammo as I can going into this, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Hey everyone,

I am ramping up to open a claim for P&T PTSD. I am currently rated 100% PTSD and want to get all my ducks in a row before submitting for a claim and possible C&P exam. I am wondering what sorts of documentation or other proof would help in winning the permanent status. Right now what I have is:

1) I have been receiving SSDI for about the same amount of time as VA Dis Comp

2) I have been attending both individual and group therapies as much as possible with little to no improvement

3) I have obtained a service dog for help with my PTSD symptoms

I also plan on bringing my wife to my C&P exam who can elaborate on what life is like with me.

Since I am going to be opening the claim, I was also going to try to get the P&T rating back to the original claim date at which time I was only rated 50% (which was approximately 18 months before I received 100%). What, if anything, would help me with this case? I was thinking since I was released from the hospital right before this claim was opened would help me but I am not sure what else would.

If anyone could please help me in getting as much ammo as I can going into this, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

deserteagle,

Having just went through the process here is what you need to to. Yes bring your spouse, it does help. You are unemployed I assume since you're drawing SSDI and 100% from VA. You were initially rated at 50% then re-rated to 100% and want to make the rating P&T. Ok. It may be tough but not impossible. First your VA MH Dr. must enter into your records that in his/her opinion you are rated with 100% with little chance for improvement, do this before you request the P&T designation. The VARO may or may not want another C&P but I would count on it! The VA believes PTSD and the symptoms of may be reduced by what is called PET or Prolonged Exposure Therapy, don't believe it for a second. That is why you were not given P&T with the 100% award, quite common with the younger veterans coming back from Iraq & Afganistan, the VA believes the PTSD symptoms can be reduced therefore reducing your dependence on the VA checkbook. As for myself I'm a 66 yr old Marine who has struggled with the demons since I returned to CONUS in 1967 from Vietnam, Dr's have told me it's been too long and I will never ever recover from this self destructive mental illness. My only concern is the VA mindset that if you start treatment within a reasonable timeframe from onset of symptoms it is possible to greatly reduce your symptoms. You and I and every other combat veteran that has "been there and done that" know there is no cure for this. We all wish there were!!!

You will receive a lot of good support and advise on the site, ask the questions and the hadit team will provide the answers. Hope this helps!

• HadIt.com Elder

You really cannot apply for P and T. It is not a rateable condition. It is an Ancillary benefit that is awarded by the VARO for having a condition considered STATIC. No likelihood for improvement.

It can be simply put on a 21-4138. State the condition is static and is not likely to improve.

Hang in there.

J

pigdriver...thanks for the advice about the PET. My therapist has been trying to push this down my throat saying that it has great results. I, for one, am a HUGE skeptic of anyone who says they can "cure" the mind. If they could, you could do the same for many other mental illnesses. I am going to have to talk to my doc. I have been seeing the same guy for over 3 years and I think that he has a pretty good handle on where I have been and where I stand. I don't think that he should have a problem helping me out with either a statement of support or other such documentation.

basser...I know that I need to ask to be rated or the VA will never just hand me the rating. I have been advised by my VSO to file a notice requesting the permanent status. Thank you for the form number and the wording that I should use.

deserteagle,

What is the effective date of your scheduler 100 % rating for your PTSD ?

Borrowed from elsewhere,

"You are free to submit medical evidence any time you wish. If your doctor says that your condition is not likely to improve, have him put that in writing and send it to VA along with a statement asking that future review exams be cancelled based on the doctor's statement. <br style=min-width: 0px; "><br style="min-width: 0px; ">If you just ask them to make you "permanent" without sending medical evidence to support that, VA will just ask you for medical evidence and if you don't submit it nothing will happen."

jbasser gave you the correct wording, if the mental health professional states your condition is static in nature

that would be great for this issue.