VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Awarded Iu But A Future Exam Schedule... Why This?

Rate this question

cachanilla73

Question

Hello everyone, hope this new year will bring better things for all of us. Thanks for your help and advise. As I mentioned before my husband was awarded IU recently. We got DEA benefits as well as the commissary and exchange card, but in the certificate the VA send us to get the ID's says that "according to our records a future exam will be scheduled on X/X/2012... Is this normal? I thought once you get the DEA and ID's benefits that means your are TOTAL and PERMANENTLY ... we heard from a friend that after 5 years with the condition (s) the VA won't schedule more exams.

We are so new to this process, it's confusing.... How does the chapter 35 work? the stipend the VA pay the dependent is to cover the school tuition, or is an extra? I mean , does the VA pay the school tuition and then pay the dependent the $$????

Also what do we need to apply for CHAMPVA? the lady at the phone said my husband need to apply for it. She didn't send the application form with the package we got for the DEA and ID's. What would CHAMPVA cover, are there only specific doctors to be seeing? PLEASE... HELP!!!! We tried to call the 1-800 # and most of the time is a pain in the bl**p.... some operators know what you are talking about but most don't.

Thanks for your help.....

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

For Dependents Educational Assistance the VA will pay the STUDENT a monthly stipend of $936 ,if the student is going full-time at a VA approved school and taking courses towards a VA approved certificate/diploma. If the student is going either 1/2 or 3/4 time, then the monthly amount is pro-rated accordingly. The VA also pays one month later, so if you start school in January, you don't get your check until February.

You can contact CHAMPVA and they will send an application.

I'm not sure about the future exam scheduled for TDIU P&T - hopefully it is a mistake on their part.

For Dependents Educational Assistance the VA will pay the STUDENT a monthly stipend of $936 ,if the student is going full-time at a VA approved school and taking courses towards a VA approved certificate/diploma. If the student is going either 1/2 or 3/4 time, then the monthly amount is pro-rated accordingly. The VA also pays one month later, so if you start school in January, you don't get your check until February.

You can contact CHAMPVA and they will send an application.

I'm not sure about the future exam scheduled for TDIU P&T - hopefully it is a mistake on their part.

YES, we know the STUDENT (the dependent) is the one getting the monthly payment. OUR QUESTION IS.... the STUDENT is supposed to use those $ 936 to pay the school fees, tuition, books, etc., etc., or will the VA pay these PLUS give the student the EXTRA $936 for other expenses......

And YES we hope there is a misunderstanding with the future exam, but our source is very reliable and reaffirmed the VA will stop exams after 5 years with the condition.

• HadIt.com Elder

No it is not for the extra. The student is expected to pay all costs, tuition, etc. and if the $936 covers it, great, but most likely they will also need to work, get grants, and/or use student loans. It's still a nice benefit. Technically, he is P&T and no exams should apply but I would wait and see if they actually do schedule future exams and deal w/it then. The five yrs thing is true.

pr

YES, we know the STUDENT (the dependent) is the one getting the monthly payment. OUR QUESTION IS.... the STUDENT is supposed to use those $ 936 to pay the school fees, tuition, books, etc., etc., or will the VA pay these PLUS give the student the EXTRA $936 for other expenses......

And YES we hope there is a misunderstanding with the future exam, but our source is very reliable and reaffirmed the VA will stop exams after 5 years with the condition.

The RO decision sounds like it is in conflict with itself. Normally, P and T means "no future exams scheduled". And you had to get P and T to get Ch. 35. My RO, in a letter to get an id card at the base, used the term

"No future exams are scheduled" instead of P and T. That is, the VA "assumes" the rest of the world knows that "no future exams scheduled" means "Permanent and Total". Fortunately, they have apparently "interpreted" this conflict in your favor and awarded DEA benefits. This is very good for you. My advice is to not "rock the boat" because a "bean counter" may question your approval of DEA benefits if it is brought to their attention.

Dont use it as an excuse to worry, but dont raise a red flag and say "look at this" either.

And, yes, my son also gets Ch. 35 and no, the VA does not pay tuition in addition to the $936 per month, tho I agree the regs are not real clear on that. The new GI bill benefits, however, is different and pays both the monthly stipend and tuition. Dependents benefits are good, but they are not near as good as the new GI bill.

Of course, I dont know anything about your/your sons finances, but he may be eligible for Pell Grants, as getting VA benefits does not mean you are not eligible for a pell grant/student loans.

Your son will need to actually attend classes and get a decent grade to keep his benefits. The courses he takes will have to be ones that work toward his degree.

"Also what do we need to apply for CHAMPVA? the lady at the phone said my husband need to apply for it"

CHAMPVA is online and the application should be at their site.

I have CHAMPVA and I have the doctor and hospital of my choice.

I was eligible for med treatment at the local VA throgh CHAMPVA up to when I was eligible for Medicare.

You need to have Part A and Part B of Medicare when you become eligible for that -in order to retain CHAMPVA.

CHAMPVA is technically separate in many ways from the VA. Their site will help you understand this benefit in detail.

(Save your coo pay receipts too -they will reimburse you on them)

DEA- I am DEA recipient.

gee I just realzed these questions were all answered well here by others.

The college must be VA approved (most of them are)

The Certificate of Eligibilty has to be prepared by the VA when they get the Chapter 35 DEA application.

Every VA approved school -to include on line colleges has a VA liason person that can help with Chap 35 DEA once enrollment is established.

The tuition is paid first and then a few weeks later (usually a month) the stipend is sent.

I would email my VA counselor at AMU proof of paid tuition and course info and length of course (she had my student ID and could check that) and then I emailed VA Edu dept with same info.

All in all it went smoothly.

Some schools might have a Book grant available.The info would be at their web site.This saved me plenty of money.

The USMC paid for my text books.

Thanks everyone for your answers and the time you all took to reply to my post. This week my stepson will take his filled application to our local college, we already talked to the VA rep, and since there is a lot of veterans and dependents attending that college we expect a smooth process but of course we won't be surprise if there is a bump or two down the road..... After him I will apply for myself, as a spouse, with my husband ptsd I don't want to stress him out by me going back to day school. I will probably look into night school or something online so I can be with him during the day.

About the future exam I read something in previous forums it seems somewhat "normal" for some cases..... anyways we'll worry when the time comes. For know my main concern is my husband health and this will bring some peace of mind for him.... you all know how life gets for combat vets and well we have time to plan and save before that silly future exam. We are taking one step at the time.

Thanks again...!!!!:smile: