VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loan Discharge

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

So I'm working my way through the paper work and I'm at the student loan discharge point. I'm a little stumped here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed to get PLUS loans discharged that we took out for my kid. Here's the stumpy bit:

The loan was taken out under my spouse's name ( I thought ). The statements are in his name, etc and only his name shows up on the website for the loan. But when I checked my credit report a couple months ago, the PLUS Loans were on there.

So I'm wondering... can I get these loans discharged when they're in my spouse's name? And if not, would I have a leg to stand on when the loans are affecting my personal credit rating?

Anyone seen a situation like this?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Hedgey,

By any chance could your wife have co-signed for the loan? Your son's name may be appearing on the statements, but if he is not paying the loan back, the responsibility would fall on you and your wife. This might be why it is showing up on your credit report. May be some one with more knowledge on this subject can weigh in, but I would think it would have to be the Veteran themselves that would have had to take out the loan. I had mine discharged years ago due to being considered 100% disabled by OPM, not the VA. Good Luck

Papa